Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

All the threads on rearsets appear to be at least 1.5-2 years old now so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm looking for some black or black + blue rearsets. I don't want to spend $500+ which is what most of the Spiegler / Woodcraft / etc stuff costs, but then I see the $90 stuff is from China. Anyone get the Chinese stuff? Have any experience with specifically the rearsets? Any issues? Is there anything in between around the $200-$300 range?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd actually even be fine with someone's old used OEM ones if they're in good condition and then I can just bead blast + anodize them...I know a guy who'd do the anodizing fairly cheap.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
There are the Madhornets rearsets that sell for $221.33

Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 Racing Adjustable Rearsets Rear Set Products - Mad Hornets

There is also the same set on ebay, that sell for $108.00

Adjustable Rearsets Foot Rest Peg Rear Set For 2013-2016 YAMAHA MT-09 FZ-09 RN29

The ebay version look identical to the Madhornets version. It is just not clear if they are indeed the Madhornets version just being sold for less on ebay? or a copy of the Madhornets??

The same goes for the Madhornets levers, and other items they sell. At first you could only find them ay Madhornets, then one day copies (or the same thing) started selling on ebay for less. I wonder if it is just a bunch of ebay sellers who get a better deal buying them in bulk from Madhornets, then sell them for less????

·
Registered
42 Posts

Adjustable Rearsets Foot Rest Peg Rear Set For 2013-2016 YAMAHA MT-09 FZ-09 RN29

The ebay version look identical to the Madhornets version. It is just not clear if they are indeed the Madhornets version just being sold for less on ebay? or a copy of the Madhornets??

The same goes for the Madhornets levers, and other items they sell. At first you could only find them ay Madhornets, then one day copies (or the same thing) started selling on ebay for less. I wonder if it is just a bunch of ebay sellers who get a better deal buying them in bulk from Madhornets, then sell them for less????
It's all made in China so yeah id say it's identical.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Timely thread. I am also looking for rear-sets. I wan't ones with bearings and ones that work with the Akra Carbon. Most will with a little modification, Woodcraft work without mods but use bushings.

Looking at :

Gilles
Valtermoto
Lightech

I didn't think Vortex made them for the FZ-09. Will have a look...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually fine with the stock height and whatnot I just want a direct replacement (apparently some will / won't work with the OEM brake switch as well).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What's the difference between those and these?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like they have folding footpegs (the others are fixed) and the gear shift lever linkage is bolted to the sprocket cover. I've had the Chinese $108 version since last summer. They work great. Only issue I had related to "steel bolts & aluminum threads" syndrome. Stripped one out, but a few nuts & bolts from local hardware store solved problem. The shift linkage "clamp" for the transmission shift shaft may eventually strip out (steel v aluminum again), but I bought two "sets" for spare parts. I recommend them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also have the Chinese versions with no issues apart from none of the holes in the shifter mount being tapped (and I know I'm not the only one with that issue) you'll need an M6x1.0 tap for those threads

as an added bonus the non folding pegs will act as sliders and keep your cases off the ground in a low speed off / if you drop it in the driveway :embarrassed:

·
Vendor
870 Posts
Valter Moto CarpiMoto - Yamaha MT-09 17- $250-400.
USA source is PJ's Parts. If you like I can talk to PJ and see if we can't put a special price together for forum purchase. Would probably need qty=5 to do it.

I can get Robby Moto's EVO rearset for $400, maybe less.
http://www.robbymotoeng.com/en-en/evo-rearsets/article-detail/163

I have Chinese rearsets for my FZ07. The metal and anodizing seems perfectly reasonable. They look a bit "bulky" or "clunky" as they are simple pieces and put together with inexpensive hardware. I bought 2 sets and mix the parts up so I have dual-tone (blue+gray). For the price I'm not complaining. I will probably make a couple of parts on my lathe/mill so I can use the ubiquitous folding pegs or the 'rotate to adjust' extended footpegs. I replaced their el-cheapo washers with SS shims to give clearance for the pivot bearings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the look of those Valter Motos...if I could score a set for $250 that'd be perfect.

Basically I dropped the bike right as I was making a right-turn from a stop sign - dude was coming the wrong way down a 1-way street and I wasn't looking to the right just checking left for traffic. Startled me and it was in a slick wet parking garage so the front slid right out. Almost was able to hold it up from sheer strength but then my foot slipped too and the bike fell on my right foot. Dude poked his head out the window, yelled if I was ok, then took off while I was still trying to get my foot out. Didn't get a plate.

There's minor scuffs on the mirror, bar end, brake lever, engine case, foot brake, but you really have to be looking specifically for it to notice...at least in my parking garage, haven't really gotten it outside to inspect since it's been pretty shitty weather here. Nothing appears to be cracked or leaking.

So since the damage is so minor (I was literally just clutching out, hadn't even hit the gas yet) I was debating on whether or not it's even worth the insurance. Deductible is $250, and I'm sure the shop labor to replace all the damaged parts + parts would be over that ($150/hr for labor, they're saying at least 1.5 hours to replace all that). But the shop wants $110 just to even do an inspection for an estimate. A new bracket that holds that brake lever is $95 from the shop by itself, let alone anything else, and I usually do all my own maintenance and mods at Moto Guild (cool place, they provide lifts, tools, tire machine, everything for $15 / hr). Argghhh. Dunno if the insurance is even worth it vs just buying new rearsets for ~$250 and installing them myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts