Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo... short story. Went to a bike "professional" shop to replace my rear tire. They end up making a nice scratch on the lip of the wheel (where the clamps are holding the wheel. They did found the problem (Teflon is all worn out) but after scratching my nice burple wheel!

They offer me to send by wheel to a car paint shop!

What are your thought on this?
What kind of paint is use by Yamaha? Is this std paint?

What would you?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How bad is the scratch? How noticeable is it?

Touch up paint?

Consider yourself lucky that they're willing to do anything for you at all.

I have purchased two tires from Cycle Gear. Both times they f*cked up my rims, and they denied any responsibility.

The first time, the damage wasn't that great, I didn't even notice until I got home and put the wheel back on... a little disappointing, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe it was a new person without a lot of experience.

The second time I made sure it was not the same guy doing the install and requested they take care. Got the 'ol roll eyes & a "sure thing man" and got my rim back all scratched up. Looked like they took a metal scraper and wire brush to my black rim to remove the old wheel weights. Zero f*cks given and a denial from them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, the Blurple wheels scratch super easy-the paint doesn't appear to be very thick or durable. My front wheel had some scratches from where it was secured in the crate for shipping-didn't see them until after purchase when I cleaned it the 2nd day of ownership. When I called the stealer, they offered to 'touch them up'-I suggested they order me a new unscratched wheel-y'know being a brand new bike and all, but was told touching it up was the best they could do since they couldn't verify that it left the showroom damaged, and they assumed no responsibility for it. To your question; I personally wouldn't want them sending it to a paint shop in the hope they're going to be able to replicate the paint color and look of the original, and even trying to touch it up it will still be noticeable, just not as bad as that glaring silver aluminum showing through. Makes me nervous when it comes time to replace my tires that without nylon inserts on the bead breaker or tire iron they're going to f#%* it up even more.

·
Registered
226 Posts
These wheels are super cheap to buy imho, more so if they are a Yamaha dealer. I would see if they will do the right thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How bad is the scratch? How noticeable is it?

Yeah, the Blurple wheels scratch super easy-the paint doesn't appear to be very thick or durable. Makes me nervous when it comes time to replace my tires that without nylon inserts on the bead breaker or tire iron they're going to f#%* it up even more.
These wheels are super cheap to buy imho, more so if they are a Yamaha dealer. I would see if they will do the right thing.
Yamaha 0978 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic T
SKU # : 5816
Vendor : ColorRite
Manufacturer : Yamaha
Manufacturer Code : 0978

Yamaha 0978 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic T
Thanks all for your answer

Well,

They call me back saying that I only have to call my local Yamaha dealer to give them my serial number and they will order a brand new one :confused:
But the tire shop manager tried to make me feel bad about it. I'm the bad guy that is requesting a brand new wheel for a "small small scratch"

He say that I shouldn't come again for a tire replacement since they will not work on my wheel anymore!

To tell you the truth I still don't know what to do. Should I just do a quick touch-up and forget about. Is this kind of damage is common and will likely have a new scratch at each tire replacement?

Here is a picture of the biggest scratch.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Auto part Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

So touch up and tell me that it will happen anyway or be the "Bad Guy" and go get my new wheel?

·
Registered
84 Posts
By no means should you let them make you feel like the bad guy. They are doing you a favor by refusing your business. Get your new wheel and press on!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh c'mon...they screwed the rim up big time. Make them buy you a new rim. Maybe they will learn how to change a tire without ruining the rim.

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
He say that I shouldn't come again for a tire replacement since they will not work on my wheel anymore!
LOL, I wouldn't go back anyway...get your new wheel from Yamaha and let them foot the bill....its their fault, not yours...let this be a lesson to them to be more careful or get better equipment.....its a brand new bike, no reason to ride around with a scratched up or touched up wheel....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That looks like more like a gouge than a "little scratch."

Take the new wheel, don't feel guilty, and comply with their request to never return.

Also, I would:

• have them remove the tire from the damaged wheel for you
  • make them compensate you for the cost of remounting/balancing the tire on the new wheel (elsewhere, of course... make sure you line up a shop that will install it for you and how much they charge. Many shops will not mount and balance a tire that you did not purchase from them. Also, the cost of a replacement valve stem... I don't think new wheels come with one istalled)
  • potentially reimburse expense for R&R of wheel bearings as well
  • remember to snag the special Yamaha wheel weight(s) off the old rim

Get your new wheel, keep the scratched one and never go there again.
Technically, he's not entitled to keep the old wheel.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
226 Posts
But if you do get to keep it, sell it to me and it can go with my scratched front... to the powder coaters!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I would definitely get the new wheel and they should have to pay for any and all cost to make it right..totally.....bearings, if the wheel doesn't come with them, mounting and balancing the tire on the new wheel......everything!

My next suggestion is to sell the rear wheel and take that money and put some more with it and buy yourself a NoMar tire changer and start doing them yourself. I've changed probably well over 100 tires with my NoMar and never once scratched a wheel.

Reactions: 2thdr

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would definitely get the new wheel and they should have to pay for any and all cost to make it right..totally.....bearings, if the wheel doesn't come with them, mounting and balancing the tire on the new wheel......everything!

My next suggestion is to sell the rear wheel and take that money and put some more with it and buy yourself a NoMar tire changer and start doing them yourself. I've changed probably well over 100 tires with my NoMar and never once scratched a wheel.
You're right about the NoMar... Man, I wish I had the space to own one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
NEWwheel bearings, too... NEVER reuse the wheel bearings, driving them out via the inner race ruins them.

That looks like more like a gouge than a "little scratch."

Take the new wheel, don't feel guilty, and comply with their request to never return.

Also, I would:

• have them remove the tire from the damaged wheel for you
  • make them compensate you for the cost of remounting/balancing the tire on the new wheel (elsewhere, of course... make sure you line up a shop that will install it for you and how much they charge. Many shops will not mount and balance a tire that you did not purchase from them. Also, the cost of a replacement valve stem... I don't think new wheels come with one istalled)
  • potentially reimburse expense for R&R of wheel bearings as well
  • remember to snag the special Yamaha wheel weight(s) off the old rim

Technically, he's not entitled to keep the old wheel.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar problem with my bike. I was so excited to get the FZ home that I didn't notice the front rim was scratched pretty significantly, I didn't bother going back because I figured once I left the property there was no way to prove it was there when I got the bike. No worries though, I'll be sending them off this winter to get powder coated.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The real question is how many other rims did they scratch and/or damage and the owners didn't notice?

Plus like others have mentioned, the rims are powder coated and not just painted. It also looks like they gouged the rim and didn't just scratch off a bit of the powder coat. A good rim repair place can do a great repair and you will never notice it. A bad repair place will have the paint pealing off and look worst than when it was scratched. Plus how long will you be without your bike while it gets fixed????

The worst part is that it sounds like you found the damage, and they didn't mention it. It's pretty obvious and sticks out like a sore thumb, I can't see how they "missed it" when they scratched it.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for bad workmanship. They should have made sure their equipment was in proper working order before they even used it, no excuse.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'd just take the new wheel, (and new bearings if you can get em), and keep the old wheel, and run.
Is it perfect? No, but it's pretty good.
If you keep asking for more and more, new tyre, cost to mount it, etc, etc, they could end up saying get effed, which would suck.
More than likely, they'll give you a new wheel in a box, and push you out the door.
take it and run. It's not perfect, but until you get a wheel, the deal isnt done, so play a bit nice to get it done, then sell the old wheel to get the money to pay for refitting the tyre.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts