Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I came home tonight and found a bolt in my rear tire so tomorrow morn. I am going to remove rear wheel and go get new tire installed. For those that have removed rear wheel, did you remove the rear brake caliper from caliper bracket and lay it out of the way or leave it on bracket. Looks easier to remove caliper and just deal with bracket on R & R. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Pull the axle out and remove the chain, then take the rear caliper off of the disc and out of the bracket. I usually try to support the caliper so that it's not just hanging by the brake line. Oh, and don't push on the brake pedal either while the disc is out of the caliper! :cool:

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the axle out and remove the chain, then take the rear caliper off of the disc and out of the bracket. I usually try to support the caliper so that it's not just hanging by the brake line. Oh, and don't push on the brake pedal either while the disc is out of the caliper! :cool:
So you did not remove the caliper from bracket. and yea I will support the caliper so as not to let it just hang.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't remove the rear caliper from the bracket and it works fine. Just make sure the pads are spread enough apart to make sliding the rear disk back in easily.

As a tip, I bevel the bottom edge of the rear brake pads so that pushing them down on the brake disk causes them to spread apart. This is a endurance racing tip that I have used on all my racebikes and streetbikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That's a good idea Moto....I like it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK then, Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What kind of tire are you installing of you don't mind me asking, are you only change the rear?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Moto, that's a good idea.

Decon, i replaced both tires recently and the manual calls for removing the caliper first. Though it obviously can be accomplished without doing so as others have done.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of tire are you installing of you don't mind me asking, are you only change the rear?
Michelin pilot power.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Pilot Power?........or a Power III?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... Oh, and don't push on the brake pedal either while the disc is out of the caliper!
If you have any cedar shingles lying around, just slide a 1 inch wide piece between the pads to keep them separated. I keep a trimmed piece of shingle in my toolbox just for that purpose...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
My only advice on that is to check the date code stamped on the tire......they haven't been in production for years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My only advice on that is to check the date code stamped on the tire......they haven't been in production for years.
Just went out and checked. Date code 3/6/14.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who was the Gent bubbling with knowledge, that you ran into, at the bike shop?
Why that would be you!! Great day for riding except for the wind huh.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Can you post a straight on rear view of the tire

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts