Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally needed to change the rear tire. I was actually surprised with the mileage of the stock rear Bridgestone S20's. Was able to get 6,000Km's out of it.

Front still has good life left so I kept with just changing out the rear for another S20.

This year I picked up one of these. No Mar tire changer. It's super handy being able to change your own tires!!

The tire is tricky to get mounted on the bike. That sleeve in between the wheel bearings was tricky to align, to get the axle through. The rear brake line is also a little short to work with when getting the rear caliper aligned.

For the rear axle nut, I had a 28mm that worked, but was a little large. I believe a 27mm would be the correct size socket.

Now if the rain would go away I could get out and scrub the new tire in..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The NoMar did its job and did not leave a mark on the delicate blurple rims.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I recently used hand tools to replace my rear, a few rim scratches but I'm rusty.

Yeah, that center sleeve/spacer caused me more trouble than any other wheel I can remember. When I posted about it in the daily thread someone had the idea of a wooden dowel. Diameter a bit less than the axle, length a bit less than the width of the bearings, a little bevel on the ends. Put the dowel in, put the wheel in, push the dowel out with the axle.

The manual says to take the caliper off the carrier, I didn't, it went ok.

Yes, a 27mm socket for the axle nut works fine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a screwdriver in the right side (caliper side) of the rear wheel to align the sleeve. Wasn't ideal but worked.

The dowel is a great idea... I'll have to use one next time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had my buddy help me he took care of the brake side while I handled the chain and axle, always someone hanging around the shop. RR:cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If anyone has the diameter of the rear axle please post it. So I can have a dowel ready before the next time lol. A broom handle etc might work.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Balancer:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What model is that tire changer?
I think I need to get myself one.
It's the No Mar Classic tire changer. So easy to use. Has a mount you can lag to your floor. I use the hitch mount as I find it convenient without having a dedicated area in the garage.

TC-classic-2T.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My NoMar is one of the most used tools in my garage. I've had one since 2007 and have changed out well over 100 tires with it....both for our track and street bikes and for a few of my friends. I also have a Marc Parnes static wheel/tire balancer that works great. I can't imagine how much money I've saved doing it myself, even after spending the initial money on the equipment....plus the satisfaction that I know they are done correctly and are well balanced.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My buddy has the setup and we use the heck out of it. Cycle Gear is up to $40.oo to change a tire , way to steep for me. RR:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts