Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike last Wednesday, and needed to cleanup that tumor on the tail. Since the Household CFO (wife) doesn't want me spending any more money on it for toys, all I could do was to reuse the stock lighting for the cleanup. So, a piece of 16 gage mild steel, a little bit of playtime with my welder, and viola! Finished!

I used the stock mounting bracket (cut to fit), made a shape with the plate to accommodate the stock license plate light & stock pumpkins. Bent the "ears" back for the signals & drilled a few holes. Even got to keep the cover for the seat lock w/o cutting it.

I'll tell you, those turn signals were more effort than they were worth. I wanted to keep the rubber boots so they'd have some give, but needed to come up with a way to mount the things. Ended up cutting the boots to just beyond the existing groove (where they are "attached" to the stock plastics). Welded a 1/2" long piece of tube to the nut that holds the boot to the fixture. Then welded a nut on the other side of the tube. This whole assembly ends up being recessed about 1/4" from the edge of the rubber boot. Drilled a hole through the bracket, then inserted a bolt through to screw into this new welded nut. As long as I only tighten enough to engage the rubber boot a little (and using a lock washer so the bolt won't loosen over time), then they're attached in a way that allows a little flexibility/vibration damping. Should prevent the stock bulbs from getting rattled to death, and gives a little bit of cushion should anyone/anything bump into them. This was the only "hard" part for me to figure out, since there really is no way to cut an oval-shaped hole in steel plate with my tools (I don't have a plasma cutter) to mount them like they were originally, and the little bolt on the inside isn't anywhere near long enough to mount to & still allow for some vibration-insulating rubber mounting.

Painted it with a truck bed-liner spray paint; it's got some texture to it which I don't like all that much, but you don't see it unless you squat down and look up. Plus, it is really hard material that'll resist cuts/knicks from rocks.

In the future, when I do get better signals (or an integrated tail), along with a better license plate light, I'll modify it again. No biggie; my tools need an excuse to get use anyhoo.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door Automotive tire

Reactions: cthouse
1 - 1 of 1 Posts