Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that their rear sprocket and hub are slightly out of true? I noticed this when doing a thorough rear wheel and driveline cleaning. The bike has never been down, been hit or hit anything hard enough to do something this this. I took the whole thing appart and checked everything. When placing the sprocket on a know flat surface (mirror) there is a very slight, raised area in a small section. The cush drive looks great and the bearings and collars have no abnormal wear.

So I cleaned and re-greased everything and put it all back together making sure the sprocket assembly was tapped all the way in the cush drive and torqued the nuts to spec in a star pattern. I then aligned the wheel as perfect as my measuring tape could get it spun the wheel hard and is as smooth as silk but the wobble is still there.

Is there anything else I can check myself before addressing this with the dealer?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I wont be any help...I didn't even know this bike had a cush drive...:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just over 5000 miles. I agree they could make up a hundred ways to make this my fault but I suspect its been this way since I got it. There is a chance something went wrong at tire change time but the dealer did the work. I notice no issues at all while riding. Its not a terrible wobble maybe 1-2mm out of true but an issue that shouldn't be there nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
how much wobble do you have? if it's only a tiny bit (say, 1mm side to side with the wheel spinning), i wouldn't worry about it too much. i've got a bit of that as well.

if your sprocket isn't flat, that's probably the cause of the wobble and replacing it would likely fix it. in my case, it's something in the sprocket carrier, probably the carrier itself (sprocket and wheel hub are true, bearing seems to be good, spacer in place, cush drive rubbers fully seated). the wobble wasn't enough for me to throw out $125 for a new sprocket carrier so i left it as is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 1-2mm and I can't feel anything remotely odd when riding so I really don't think it's an immediate concern. I also mislabeled part of my issue that you cleared up. It's the sprocket carrier and not the hub itself which I believe to be the main source. When the wheel is turning you can see a bit of side to side movement where the dust seal meats the collar. I'm assuming this issue isn't a safety issue but could potentially cause accelerated chain and sprocket wear. My dealer is closed here Monday's but I will call them tomorrow to see what if anything they are willing to due for me. I think the worst part is, I went 5000 miles and never noticed a thing but now that I know it's there I'll think about it until it's fixed... :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The way you describe it I doubt it will make a noticeable difference in chain or sprocket wear.

This thread does bring up another topic though, rear wheel alignment. Some riders use a tool/guide on the sprocket to see that he chain is running straight to align the wheel, but if the sprocket or carrier aren't true then that can throw things off. For riders using that method I'd suggest at least once in awhile doing a method that compares the rear wheel to the front as a double check. YMMV.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes exactly. I've always used actual measurements from a known fixed point on the frame or swingarm on every bike I've owned. I will do the string method on a tire change to make sure both front and rear are aligned. I own the motionpro tool but do not use it because of lack accuracy when comparing to real measurements.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The yamaha microfische shows a single bearing in the sprocket hub and 2 bearings in the wheel hub, with the shaft going thru all of them. With that arrangement, I would expect to see some movement in the hub as it effectively only has one bearing (which is probably a ball bearing). It will allow the sprocket carrier to float around as much as the rubber pads will let it. Probably not much, but also not zero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also notice this wobble while I was cleaning my chain. The sprocket move from side to side along the axial around 1-2mm
I asked the dealer here, they didn't even care to look and tell me that the sprocket was true but my eyes were deceived by chain movement.

The wheel and tire are true, no noticeable side movement.

My bike is only 2400 km (1500 miles) Never ride aggressively over 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I also notice this wobble while I was cleaning my chain. The sprocket move from side to side along the axial around 1-2mm
I asked the dealer here, they didn't even care to look and tell me that the sprocket was true but my eyes were deceived by chain movement.
that's why i don't bother with dealers for things like this. or for most things....

in my case, the sprocket was flat, wheel was true, bearings were good - only thing left is the sprocket carrier. if the bearing seat isn't machined perfectly, the sprocket could end up at a slight angle to the bearing axis instead of being perfectly perpindicular, resulting in the sprocket wobbling side to side slightly when the wheel spins.

i stopped worrying about it. no signs of accelerated chain or sprocket wear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just to report back...I took my bike in to the dealer. They put it up on the stand before I could barely take my helmet and gloves off. They immediately noticed the wobble and opened up a case with Yamaha. Later that day I got a call from the dealer indicating that Yamaha does not acknowledge this as a common or known problem, but may cover it under warranty if it is a verified defect. Unfortunately, I would be rolling the dice because my dealer would charge me $90 to do what Yamaha instructed them to do for troubleshooting and verification. This $90 labor would also be covered under warranty if in fact Yamaha decided to cover it. If not then I spent $90 to deal with and issue that hasn't really been an issue but rather and observation of a potential issue. I'm on the fence if I even want to deal with it or keep that $90 for something else. That money would mostly pay for a set of front braided brake lines that I've been meaning to get.

I would imagine that this is classified as an uncommon or unknown issue because it's not an "in your face" problem and is generally unnoticeable while riding even aggressively. Maybe if members on this forum were to check for this and reported the issue to Yamaha, we could all get this rectified under warranty.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The dealership and Yamaha should step up their game. since they acknowledge it is wobbling they should do their Yamaha corprate recommended troubleshooting and charge the labor to Yamaha corporate. It would be one thing to come back and say it is not a manufacturing defect - but for a major manufacturer to make a customer feel they should not investigate an anomaly for fear of cost doesn't inspire brand confidence...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting reading this, I just tightened my chain today for the first time, and when I put it first gear on my rear stand, I noticed the tire was good, but the sprocket had a wobble. Bike only has 1400kms on it, so I don't think it's anything I could have possibly done. However, it is a 2018, and I put a fender delete onto it, so I had to put a spacer into the axle where the bar that held the hugger went, I wonder if this had anything to do with it? Also, my chain was pretty loose (1.3"), could that have caused a sprocket issue?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't see how any of those things would cause this,,, either the sprocket is true or it's not, or when adjusting your chain, you did not align the tire right

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wonder how much wobble there is on their racing bikes....cant see a rider putting up with that at 300 plus kilometres an hour

·
Registered
3 Posts
But the rim is true, and you can see the sprocket wobble move and the rim dosent. Wonder if I should ignore or take to dealer. I'm gonna good with the alignment right now. Wonder if I can attach a video clip

·
Registered
51 Posts
That ain't exactly a precision assembly and some of that movement may be the chain slightly walking from side to side as well, wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts