Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to notice this clicking a few days ago, I tightened the chain and started the bike up again and its still going on. Anyone know what causes this?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEVkSwb55aBIAuRtXj-fVtQ/videos[/video]

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
When is the last time you lubed the chain? Have you ridden in a lot of rain lately? What is the adjustment distance....free play between the counter-shaft sprocket and the rear sprocket?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I adjusted to to slightly under 1/2" of play in the chain. I lube the chain weekly or before a long ride and clean/lube every other week.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I know the Yamaha manual talks about the maximum amount of deflection is only suppose to be .59 inches, but to me, that is too tight. I usually run mine in the neighborhood of approx. 1"

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Make sure your rear wheel is aligned properly. The notches on the axle adjusters are more likely wrong than right. Mine are off almost a hole notch. I use the string alignment method.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Have you had the countershaft sprocket cover off to have a look? Many of my bikes had a habit of wearing out that sprocket while the rear one was fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I adjusted to to slightly under 1/2" of play in the chain. I lube the chain weekly or before a long ride and clean/lube every other week.
Holy cow man, lubing chain that often seems excessive unless you are riding 1000 miles a week?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only other bike I've owned was direct drive, so this chain business is allowed new to me. If I have it on the stand to wash it or anything else I just start it up and give it a spray when I'm done

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I generally do not wash my bikes with water. I wipe them down about once a week with furniture polish.

Furniture polish dissolves bugs, tar, chain lube, oil and leaves behind a layer of wax and sunscreen (UV protection). and it is cheap ($1/can at the dollar store) and I can clean the whole bike in about 5 minutes and it is done.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am having similar problems. I've been neglectful and did a full clean, lube, and adjustment to the chain today. First in over 1k miles. The chain looks and seems to be fine, but after the free play adjustment I'm getting a lot of whining coming from the motor or transmission. The rear sprocket is loud too but I think mines been that way since I bought the bike. I didn't measure, but it looked like I had about 2" of free play in the chain today, adjusted to roughly just under and inch. Someone please calm my unnecessary worry.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Chain probably too tight. Should just touch rubber part on swing arm when on side stand no rider. Chain tightens when you sit on it. Get someone to look at it when you are sitting on it level.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chain probably too tight. Should just touch rubber part on swing arm when on side stand no rider. Chain tightens when you sit on it. Get someone to look at it when you are sitting on it level.
Loosened it a bit and all is good now, no whining. Rear sprocket is still loud but everything seems to be in order. Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That chain sounds normal to me. They are noisy.
You can really hear it when you drive by a concrete center barrier (Jersey barrier??) with the barrier on the left.
The book chain tension is wrong and checking the alignment is always a good thing to do, my bike was quite a bit off from the factory. I wrote something up on that somewhere...

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the factory owners manual on chain tension is wrong, what should it be?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts