Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My traxxion fork cartridges are arriving next week and need to sort out my rear spring rate before installing everything. I picked up an KA 502 ohlins for an 05 Zx6r and it came with two springs. The installed one is a 1093-29/90 rated at 9.17kg 514lbs and the spare is a 1093-39/110 at 11.21kg 628lbs. I am sure something in between would be ideal for my 185lbs w/o gear, but wondering if either are suitable, or should I purchase another. I would ask the guys at traxxion, but they are out of the shop until the 15th.

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd suggest digging through the stoltec project bike thread to figure out the stock spring rate and go up from there. If my memory serves me I think the 514 is too soft and I think the 628 is too heavy but probably better for your weight than the 514. It probably depends also on your riding style but somewhere around 575-600 would be appropriate, but again this is just from memory, get someone who knows what they are talking about.

A quick search on the racetech site shows that my 2006 zx6rr shock came stock with a 10.3kg/mm spring which converts to 575lbs/in. I'm 200lbs with gear and its just right for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
9.4 kg/mm should be enough for you. You could get away with the 9.1 with a rider sag of 33-35max. That's what I use, the 9.1 kg/mm. I'm a hair lighter than you and I'm at the limit.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
9.4 kg/mm should be enough for you. You could get away with the 9.1 with a rider sag of 33-35max. That's what I use, the 9.1 kg/mm. I'm a hair lighter than you and I'm at the limit.
I think those are my #'s too -- same as yours.

Just got back from a 40 mile ride in West Boynton and Lake Worth. It's 88F and NoT one Cloud in the sky today. :cool:

Reactions: FZjohn and marthy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts