Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm selling my SV650 today, and on it I have rear spools that look like Woodcraft that list for about $10 each. Since I included them in the photos I consider them part of the deal, but I may ask the buyer if I can buy them for $20. The question I have is will they fit a 2014/2015 FZ-09? I think when I got them I may have had to obtain bolts from the local hardware store, but can't remember for sure. Should I keep them if planning on getting an 09?

A rear spool is a rear spool...right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Different size bolts...My Suzuki had 8mm bolts whereas the 09 has 6mm bolts. The spools should be the same I guess.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hey. I just sold my SV650 last night. I gave the guy the spools as there a different size. Hell, I even gave him my cheap Trackside rear stand.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a few dollars he let me keep them...so hopefully I can get the correct bolts when the time comes.

thanks for the quick replies...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought an SV engine, does that count? Im eventually going to us it to power a go cart :eek:nthego: it only has 4,000 miles on it. The guy low sided it and then bought it back from the insurance company. Then found out that the neck was cracked when it hit the curb.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You're just gonna have to get new spools man. The bolt size is different and you can't just replace the bolts. All Yamaha motorcycles use a 6th size.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're just gonna have to get new spools man. The bolt size is different and you can't just replace the bolts.
Maybe...but I hate waste, so I will have to see. Perhaps tap-out the receiving holes, or add aluminized A/C tape around the section of bolt that's inside the spool. I really wouldn't have an issue of tapping out the holes as long as there was sufficient shoulder material. I have a nice kit to do the work and my old spools look brand new. I always kept them covered with inner tube material.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, I did re-use my old spools. Went to the hardward store and purchased the correct SS bolts, along with a SS fender washer for each side. Had to slightly drill out the hole for the fender washer, but that was a good thing since I wanted the hole to just allow the bolt threads to pass through. Even though the new bolts heads were larger than the spool hole, I wanted something that would fit tight against that bolt head. I used the A/C aluminum tape to make the bolt fit snug inside the spool, prior to install, and used thread lock on the outside threads.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts