Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have gotten rid of the stock shock. I am curious what shock you went to and your current satisfaction level.

The following are some starting points for discussion.

Satisfaction level

Adjustability

Things you like about it

Things you don't like about it

If you had to do it over again would you choose the same one.

Price

And any other comments you want to make

Thanks guys

·
Registered
978 Posts
The problem that you will have with this thread is that no one is ever going to be critical of something they paid $500.00 plus for. It isn't that they lie about what they did it is just that we all (my self included although I make an effort to be realistic) tend to rationalize our purchases. About the only way to get reliable reviews is to compare two side by side. If one of them that you are comparing is the stock shock well then what ever the one is it is bound to be better.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Many have gotten rid of the stock shock. I am curious what shock you went to and your current satisfaction level.

The following are some starting points for discussion.

Satisfaction level

Adjustability

Things you like about it

Things you don't like about it

If you had to do it over again would you choose the same one.

Price

And any other comments you want to make

Thanks guys
I replaced the stock shock with the Penske 8389 double clicker from Stoltec Moto. So far, 100% satisfied, although I'm still fine tuning the rebound setting for the correct tire wear with the Q3s.

For the type of riding I do on this bike, the double clicker seems to be just fine for me. The spring rate was selected by Nick, based on the type of riding I do and my weight on the bike fulled geared up. Adjustability has a broad range and seems to be just what I wanted/needed for this bike.

I obviously like the shock, as Penske is known to be a quality product from a reliable company.....what's not to like for something that totally improves the crappy stock suspension on the FZ09.

I would choose the exact same shock if I were to do it over again and the price point is very much in line with quality suspension components for motorcycles, maybe even more so than some of the other brands that may charge a bit more because of whatever reason.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I replaced the stock shock with the Penske 8389 double clicker from Stoltec Moto. So far, 100% satisfied, although I'm still fine tuning the rebound setting for the correct tire wear with the Q3s.

For the type of riding I do on this bike, the double clicker seems to be just fine for me. The spring rate was selected by Nick, based on the type of riding I do and my weight on the bike fulled geared up. Adjustability has a broad range and seems to be just what I wanted/needed for this bike.

I obviously like the shock, as Penske is known to be a quality product from a reliable company.....what's not to like for something that totally improves the crappy stock suspension on the FZ09.

I would choose the exact same shock if I were to do it over again and the price point is very much in line with quality suspension components for motorcycles, maybe even more so than some of the other brands that may charge a bit more because of whatever reason.
I think you mean 8983 =P

·
Registered
734 Posts
Top of the line , weather horrid only 350 miles. Im very picky about ride . Waiting for cartridge s for the front . And some 50s and sunny

·
Registered
196 Posts
Went with an Ohlins single adjustable. Had it baselined from the shop that ordered it for me. Bike feels a lot more solid, and I don't accidentally wheelie as much. It wasn't that the stocker was bad, it's just that I know my plans for this bike and I'll do anything to make the bike more predictable while on the track or in the twisties.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Penske Double-Clicker. Great improvement. Now I wish that I had sprung for the MacDaddy with high speed compression damping.

I think the Penske is good value because it is what I wanted. And I'm at a point in life where I earned it and I'm not waiting
for next year anymore.

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I went the base Penske.

Still a 100% improvement in feel compared to the stock. The rear doesnt squat as much anymore, which used to lead to waaaayyyy to many unintentional wheelies for me anyway.

Now...........all wheelies are intentional and well controlled.

The bike doesnt wallow during cornering anymore and feels super planted throughout the entire turn.

If I could do it again would I choose the same one?

No.

I would choose the double or triple clicker knowing how good just the base model made the bike feel!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I could do it again would I choose the same one?

No.

I would choose the double or triple clicker knowing how good just the base model made the bike feel!!!
Not sure if you're just saying that, however, I believe the base Penske can be upgraded by just adding the remote reservoir of choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
went with the ohlins base shock and some springs to match up front ...just picked it up so cant comment yet sorry

·
Registered
616 Posts
ZX10 shock. I've never been very knowledgeable about suspensions, nor did have the money to do anything about it. I pretty much rode what I had, and what I had dictated how I rode. I knew with this bike, something had to be done. Marthy posted about using ZX10 shocks, and I installed one. $100 for a very clean, purported low mileage unit. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a Elka 4 way with remote res on the K1 Busa I'm rebuilding, took it off and put it on.

I've rode it about 500ks and it works maybe 50% better than the stock shock but could be better, I'm yet to set the sag because I need to get under the tank to do that but I'll play a bit more and hopefully get it right. I'd love to make a hinge rear mount for the fuel tank. As is it is better than stock but not as good as you might get with a shock made specifically for the bike. It's a little hard to tell as the forks are so shit.
Once I get the forks done I'll have a better idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went with the base model Penske from Stoltech Moto. Also dropped in stiffer front springs and heavier fork oil at the same time to help balance things out front to rear. Prices can be seen at his website. It arrived sprung and valved for me and I am very happy with its set up out of the box.

I like the clean install without the remote reservoir to deal with. Also its very easy to adjust rear ride height by altering shock length.

If I had it to do over again I probably would go with the double clicker but at the time I did not want to spend the extra $300.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Penske 8983 from Nick. I trusted to his judgment as far as spring rate. Initially a bit too stiff as delivered. Backed out some pre-load and ended up having to adjust rebound down quite a bit, but now it works quite well for me. I also went with his recommended front springs (.90 kg/mm for my 200# riding weight) and 7.5 wt oil, and after backing pre-load all the way out it works pretty well. Good enough that at the track day earlier this week the bike felt stable and controlled up to peg scraping lean angles (a first for me) and did NOT move all around if you hit a bump through a turn like it did with stock suspension. I went with Michelin Pilot Power 3's since I had the track day coming. I'm no racer, but the stock suspension was horrible.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nitron Track shock - 2 way adjustable,remote reservoir.We had to revalve it for NZ conditions - the standard set up was a little too heavily damped in the high speed compression range.Now it is excellent

·
Registered
473 Posts
Double clicker PENSKE shock for me. Great shock but obviously a lot of money. Super easy to adjust without any tools. Feels firmer than OEM at times. Slow speed stuff it feels more plush. I really need firmer fork springs or Nick's magic cartridges. Then I can really access the entire package.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts