Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Couldn't say, that was the first piece to hit the junk pile on my bike. Use that rust as an excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The stock shock is made of very low grade materials. The exterior/body is made of painted, mild steel so it does not surprise me it is rusting.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mine is not rusty...in fact, it looks brand new...but its sitting in the bottom drawer of my tool box...:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Same here. One day I pulled the plug off the bottom of the steering head and noticed rust there too.

I use more WD40 and less washing now.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mine too. That ohlins rear can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My shock was replaced earlier on but I have noticed some corrosion issues on my bike in a couple spots, the silver round cover next to the oil filter on my bike is pitting pretty bad already. Bike has never seen rain or bad road conditions, when washed I never rinse it with the hose either. My guess is road debris is kicking up causing the finish to wear off and it started from that, no real way to stop that on a naked bike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Anyone think this should fall under Yamaha replacement, corrosion warranty?
i dont know what the warranty states but i would imagine it would be hard to prove defect over user neglect. Given Yamaha has been so proactive with the CCT (just kidding) - i can't imagine they would be more willing to fix this issue..

just a hunch though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Same here. One day I pulled the plug off the bottom of the steering head and noticed rust there too.

I use more WD40 and less washing now.

I'm pretty sure actually I've washed mine at least once - though I could be wrong. I know I've done bug removal from my screen a couple of times...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wash mine (rinse w/hose) every week or two and haven't noticed corrosion anywhere. I also dry it off as best I can when done which may help. Will definitely be keeping an eye out.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I get a lot of "fuzz" on the heads of the front caliper mounting bolts. No other fasteners show that sort of corrosion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine was rust, i have only 500km last week!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts