Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sv650 had a zx6 shock.
Gen 1 fz1 has a s1000rr shock.

I am looking for a replacement for my fz09.
13 inches eye to eye with clevis on one end.
Any ideas as to which bikes came with similar lengths?

Amazing how the shock has too much high speed comp. dampening and not enough slow speed. Harsh over small bumps/cracks and bottoms on big bumps. The worst of both ends!

The engine makes up for everything though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess the question is will a shock with a reservoir near the top fit the bike? 13 inches = 330mm = stock '03 up SV or '03-'06 ZX6 shock. Anybody know what spring rate on the stock shock?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I guess the question is will a shock with a reservoir near the top fit the bike? 13 inches = 330mm = stock '03 up SV or '03-'06 ZX6 shock. Anybody know what spring rate on the stock shock?
This has been discussed a bit in this thread: http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/31-stoltec-moto/569-first-aftermarket-fz-09-shock-penske-spy-shots.html, but I'd prefer to keep that thread on track.

That said, not sure why an SV shock would even be in the running for a replacement. It's almost 2014, so you're looking at shocks that are approaching 10 years old and are commonly disposed of for being horrendous. You can find better stock shocks...

·
Banned
161 Posts
If this shock is not as good as a stock SV650 shock, Im not going to buy the damn bike...

People put ZX-10 shocks on SV650's (myself included). That should definitely be explored as an option.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
gsx-r shocks also have the same mounts, although the lengths varied by year, as did spring weights.

as stoltec pointed out in the other thread, shocks with piggyback reservoirs (most decent oem ones) are going to present clearance problems and even if you can manage to stuff the shock into the 09, the adjusters for preload and compression damping are going to end up underneath the tank making adjustment more difficult.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I'd say they are easily on par with one another.
I would hope so. It looks like almost the same shock. But damn, it shouldn't be any worse!!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
It's hard to compare...they both suck. Picking which one sucks more is akin to pissing in the wind.

You might get the ZX-10 shock to work. There might be enough room to locate the piggyback up inside the frame and the compression adjustment might be accessible through the frame opening. The preload collars will definitely be hidden though...

·
Banned
161 Posts
Looks like this Penske thing thats being cooked up is SO nice though...just don't want to have to come up with damn near $1000 for a rear shock.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Looks like this Penske thing thats being cooked up is SO nice though...just don't want to have to come up with damn near $1000 for a rear shock.
You won't spend a grand on the shock unless you buy the top of the line triple clicker. The single adjustable will be $700 MSRP and the 8983 SHOULD come in around $925-975. Our pricing is going to be less than MSRP, but waiting on the final BOM before committing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You won't spend a grand on the shock unless you buy the top of the line triple clicker. The single adjustable will be $700 MSRP and the 8983 SHOULD come in around $925-975. Our pricing is going to be less than MSRP, but waiting on the final BOM before committing.
Stoltec, Let us know man. I know at least a few of us will buy from you. Thanks for all the pictures and guides your posting too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys. New guy here, both to the sport bike world and the forum My question is I'm a bigger guy,285, and when I ride the back of the bike feels a bit spongy compared to the front. Does anyone know of a good replacement shock yet, pref. with a stiffer spring. Any other bigger guys feel this way too or is it only me haha?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hey guys. New guy here, both to the sport bike world and the forum My question is I'm a bigger guy,285, and when I ride the back of the bike feels a bit spongy compared to the front. Does anyone know of a good replacement shock yet, pref. with a stiffer spring. Any other bigger guys feel this way too or is it only me haha?
Hayabusa based rear shock.

They come with a 130 rear spring, are the correct 13 inch length and plenty on Ebay for $ 25 to 50.

An Ohlins from the same bike would be great and about $ 500 if one shows up.

You'll probably want 110 springs on the front.

Stoltec may have a pair for under a hunnert .

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For your weight both ends of the bike need stiffer springs. I think the go-to guy for 09 suspension is: Stoltec Moto

The stock springs are about right for a rider of around 170 pounds, but even then the damping has issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts