Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched / read a bunch of posts and gotten conflicting answers. It seems the majority of the information is for first gens. Has anyone actually measured a 2017 rear shock from center mounting hole to center mounting hole? Also, if anyone has one handy or knows the measurements for the following:

• diameter of top and bottom mounting holes
  • width of the top mount/bushing
  • inside width of the bottom mounting clevis

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn’t that describe pretty much any forum, ever?
Unfortunately it does. They can be a great source of information, but they are hiding places for anonymous trolls and keyboard warriors.
Sorry OP I had no intention of hijacking your thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've searched / read a bunch of posts and gotten conflicting answers. It seems the majority of the information is for first gens. Has anyone actually measured a 2017 rear shock from center mounting hole to center mounting hole? Also, if anyone has one handy or knows the measurements for the following:

• diameter of top and bottom mounting holes
  • width of the top mount/bushing
  • inside width of the bottom mounting clevis

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go:
top mounting hole 10mm
width of top bush 30mm
bottom mounting holes 12mm
inside width of clevis 30mm
center to center 330mm +/- uncompressed
Stock standard Yamaha issue
TWOLFE what year bike is that shock from?

That was my big problem was it seems like most of the shock conversion threads deal with first gen. I found one thread that someone said the 2017 was shorter than the earlier models.

An additional question I have that I'm going to look up unless someone has a good answer and willing to give. I've seen lengths for a bunch of these shocks. Is there an upper limit that people would say don't go longer than? IE +10mm over stock length

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,170 Posts
All the CP3 bikes have the same dimensions. The OEM shocks may have different spec springs or damping, but the mounts are the same. What fits one will fit the others. Here’s K-Tech’s shock...

As you can see, the same part number fits all years of all models (and that includes ‘20 as well, they just haven’t updated their page)...

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
My '14 shock length is the same as an '18 SP - 330mm

·
Registered
16 Posts
TWOLFE what year bike is that shock from?

That was my big problem was it seems like most of the shock conversion threads deal with first gen. I found one thread that someone said the 2017 was shorter than the earlier models.

An additional question I have that I'm going to look up unless someone has a good answer and willing to give. I've seen lengths for a bunch of these shocks. Is there an upper limit that people would say don't go longer than? IE +10mm over stock length
just like you asked

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the benefit of the rather contrary OP.
Yamaha part no is the SAME for all models.
As for changing the length of the shock, lengthening the shock will give you more ground clearance and sharper steering and shift the weight distribution slightly.
However as you are not bright enough to look up part nos, step away from the spanners.
If you do use a 10mm longer shock, let us know how it goes please!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The OP said he had searched several posts for information, rather than searching for the part numbers.
A smart person would have checked the part nos first!

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
However as you are not bright enough to look up part nos, step away from the spanners.
If you do use a 10mm longer shock, let us know how it goes please!
Seeing I'm bright enough to have fitted an adjustable length shock, I can tell you that 5mm more length equals a smidgeon under 12mm more rear ride height and makes a noticeable improvement in tracking through a corner, turn in is slightly sharper and line changes are easier. It also makes the bike lean further on the stand, and increases chain slack on the stand.
I would not use double that amount ie, 10mm.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My shock is 8mm longer, and front forks dropped 10mm.
I am tempted to add 25mm jack up plates and then raise the front back to 0 to get a bit more motard like ride height.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
My shock is 8mm longer, and front forks dropped 10mm.
I am tempted to add 25mm jack up plates and then raise the front back to 0 to get a bit more motard like ride height.
And cuban heels for stopping?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts