Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but.........

I've read and read and read through tons of these shock posts.... Obviously the shock to get is the ZX6RR shock, but they're so hard to find now, I've decided to get either the standard 04-05 ZX6R or the 2008-2010 ZX10R one.

I'm just trying to get opinions on which one is better for my type of riding.

I'm 5'6" and 180 lbs in full gear. I also have the factory rack, frame sliders, etc on my niner.

I really don't want to raise the bike up as I barely touch on the balls of my feet now.

For riding, I enjoy some good twisties here in So-Cal.... And commute occasionally an hour each way for work.

I know Marthy has perfected the ZX10R mod, but I wondered how the ZX6R shock compares as you can find them for nearly half the price.

Thanks for you help.

Reactions: hendricksc7

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The difference in price is certainly Not much....There's a reason he chose to perfect the ZX10 rather than the zx6. The 10 transformed my bike to the FZ09 I thought I was riding off the lot. :)

He'll prob chime in here with more details on why the 10 verses the 6. :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The ZX-10 shock rise the rear end 10mm. In your case I will bump the spring rate to 9.7 kg/mm instead of the stock 9.1 kg/mm. That should make up for the luggage and if you want to can use a bit more rider sag to lower the rear end. Personally I feel like rising the rear keep the front end more planted and I can get on the gas a bit more aggressively coming out the corner. But if height is an issue the other shock with 330mm c/c might be a better option for you. You could always lower the front a bit for the same rake change. 10mm lower front end was what I found to be appropriate with stock read shock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't speak concerning the zx6. I went with the zx10 and swapped out it's spring for my oem spring. As Steve101 stated it transformed my bike. Here in the Appalachian mountains I get to enjoy the best of both worlds, twisties and throttle pegging long straights. I'm about 190 in the saddle and don't consider the ride of the zx10 with the oem spring harsh. As price is concerned I think I paid around $80 via the bay for my almost new, but used zx10 shock. Install wasn't bad. I turned the reservoir up, I didn't mutilate the plastic tray above the shock. Using a hacksaw blade I cut two channels in either side of the plastic tray, which allowed it to flex enough to get the reservoir up underneath the tank. In the end, either shock will be much better than what you have from the factory.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^ Those (in Marthy's post above) look like the #'s used on my ZX10 Rear. It did raise the rear a very very very little bit, only noticeable for the initial few minutes. And I'm 5'7 1/2" :cool:

Reactions: Shannon09

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone... I appreciate the feedback.

I think the sellers caught onto the popularity of the Zx10R shock as they are going up in price a bit.... I'll keep my eye out for a good deal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i went with the 05 636 which matches the red. cant compare to the 10r as iver never ridden an 09 with the 10 shock but im very happy with the 636 one. you'll likely be happy with either or.

·
Registered
583 Posts
10mm is about 0.4 inches.... probably gone in sag? The damping settings will be much more important.

·
Registered
176 Posts
10mm is about 0.4 inches.... probably gone in sag? The damping settings will be much more important.
Its gonna be more important only if he doesnt see city stop and go traffic imho...

if he does, seat height will be just as important , my 2c

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am in the same boat as well except height isn't an issue and I only weigh 155 with gear. Why is the zx10r a better shock than the zx6r? Is it more adjustable? Stiffer? Are they the same eye to eye length? I know the zx6rr is 330 mm same as stock. But I thought both the zx10r and zx6r are 338 mm correct?

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you decide on the 6R shock I have two of them, you can take your pick. I'll let them go for what I paid. $50 + shipping and $75 free shipping. The 75$ shock is cleaner and seems to be in a better cosmetic state but the 50$ is in good shape too. I can supply photos if there is any interest.

- Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
the 10mm is an eye to eye measurement on the shock. Once you factor in the leverage ratio of the linkage it actually raises the rear of the biker closer to an inch. :)

I've got the zx10r shock in mine and really like the extra seat height / quicker steering but I'm also 6'5" and my last bike was a raised motard which made the fz09 feel like a BMX with it's super low seat height by comparison

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ZX-10 shock rise the rear end 10mm. In your case I will bump the spring rate to 9.7 kg/mm instead of the stock 9.1 kg/mm. That should make up for the luggage and if you want to can use a bit more rider sag to lower the rear end. Personally I feel like rising the rear keep the front end more planted and I can get on the gas a bit more aggressively coming out the corner. But if height is an issue the other shock with 330mm c/c might be a better option for you. You could always lower the front a bit for the same rake change. 10mm lower front end was what I found to be appropriate with stock read shock.
Hey Marty

Was wondering if you or anyone can help. Would the 2005 zx10r rear shock fit the 2017 fz09?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts