Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Due to some odd timing between transactions I purchased two rear shocks.
Which one do you all think is better: a 08 ZX10R rear shock, or a 06 ZX6R rear shock?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey guys,

Due to some odd timing between transactions I purchased two rear shocks.
Which one do you all think is better: a 08 ZX10R rear shock, or a 06 ZX6R rear shock?

Thanks,
Tom
zx6r would be my choice but it depends on your weight, the spring rate of the shock, the condition of the shock and the eye to eye distance you like/want/need. Plus probably need to decide if you want resovoir up or down and if there are any fit issues between the two.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I weigh 160, both springs should be stock, and both look in good condition.

From what I have read the ZX10R can go in up if you trim the tray a bit, but I am not sure about the ZX6R.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I haven't try the ZX6R so it's hard to tell. If it was a ZX6RR I would say go for it from previous review. I would go with the ZX-10 since it's what I use and got great result at the track this summer and street riding is very smooth too. Rear ride height will be 10mm higher with the ZX-10 shock and it's not a bad thing at all IMO. AIm for 36-38mm rider sag to start with. All Bump adjuster open to the max and Reb 1.25 turn in from full soft (Open=CCW)

But it's not that big of a project... try both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marthy,
Thanks! I am leaning toward the ZX10R, but I am still not sure.

All,
Any other opinions or suggestions?

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Marthy,
Thanks! I am leaning toward the ZX10R, but I am still not sure.

All,
Any other opinions or suggestions?

Thanks again,
Tom
just out of curiosity and to add to your question

Anyone know if a 08-13 r6 shock work? I have one chillin in my garage, a stock one that is and not sure if this has been asked already

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been trying to do some research on the shocks, and here is what I have come up with so far!
Both shocks seem to have the same features:
  1. Uni-Trak
  2. Adjustable Spring Preload
  3. Stepless Rebound Damping
  4. High and Low Speed Compression Damping
The the only real difference that I have been able to find (at least on paper) are the spring rates:
  • 2008 ZX-10R - 9.1 kg/mm
  • 2006 ZX-6R - 9.7 kg/mm
...does anyone know of any other differences worth noting?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The the only real difference that I have been able to find (at least on paper) are the spring rates:
  • 2008 ZX-10R - 9.1 kg/mm
  • 2006 ZX-6R - 9.7 kg/mm
...does anyone know of any other differences worth noting?
And if I remember correctly you can put the FZ09 spring on them which is stiffer yet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think the zx6r has both high and low speed compression. Just has one adjuster for compression. I can't remeber the spring rate on the stock shock but I'm very sure it's less than the rate on the zx6r shock. If the shocks are the same otherwise based on 160 pound rider I'd probably use the zx10 shock. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, finally made my decision: I'm going to install the 2008 ZX10R!

Now to see if we can do something about those colors...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts