Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the balls of my feet on the ground now; however, my fear is when I redo my seat and add some gel I might be too high up. I've always added links to my other sport bikes...just curious if anybody has bought these. I've seen sets in both stainless and aluminum...but no comments on the forum yet.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What did the 1 reviewer say? I'd be very wary of lowering this bike. That oil pan is already pretty close to the ground.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is there something to raise the height? This is in reference to making the bike more ADV ready!

·
Registered
251 Posts
We lowered a previous bike for my Mrs who is 5'2. the rear dropped 2 " by an adjustable link & the front dropped an inch on the forks.

This is the worst modification you can make to a bike.

If I were you, given that you've replaced the seat for comfort ( I assume) I would look at adding to the soles of your boots to give you the extra reach to the ground. Or adjusting your riding style to 'prop' on one side of the seat when coming to a standstill.

Playing with a bikes geometry is detrimental to the way it handles, in a big way.

If you like spirited riding, this will take you ten steps backward before you even begin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I need mine lowered now that I got my Corbin seat. It raised me more than I wanted.
Dino, I agree on the Corbin seat.... What'd u end up doing? I went from the balls of my feet to the tippy toes.

Opinions on the lowering links?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We lowered a previous bike for my Mrs who is 5'2. the rear dropped 2 " by an adjustable link & the front dropped an inch on the forks.

This is the worst modification you can make to a bike.

If I were you, given that you've replaced the seat for comfort ( I assume) I would look at adding to the soles of your boots to give you the extra reach to the ground. Or adjusting your riding style to 'prop' on one side of the seat when coming to a standstill.

Playing with a bikes geometry is detrimental to the way it handles, in a big way.

If you like spirited riding, this will take you ten steps backward before you even begin.
What's your wife riding now? My wife is also 5'2 which makes finding good bikes for her very difficult. She rides dirt and street. For dirt as long as we shave the seat A LOT and she has an e-start it tends to be ok. Street seems to be more of an issue.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I put Yamalinks on my wife's WR250R and it took me a bit of effort to balance out the chassis. That bike was tall even for my 6' height. When you change the links, you change the ratio of the rising rate of the shock as well as the geometry. In extreme cases, you will need to revalve the shock to compensate for the change in angle.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This post is to really comment on long term use of lower links. Don't lower it more than you need.
Yes, I tried Soupy's links. I found it lower the bike more than I liked. would drag on some speed bumps and seemed to be too low in the twisties I have close by. The Soupy links are about 2.042 center to center and the stock ones are 2.479. I took one to a local metal shop and got a small thickness strip of steal and made my own using a hacksaw, grinder and drill. I settled on 2.220 for my 28 inch inseam. I have yet to drag over speed bumps and have about 1/2 inch chicken strip on my rear tire without ever dragging a foot peg feeler yet. I tried raising the forks and riding of the softest rear shock setting before I changed any links but now with my home made links I am at higher pre-load on rear and forks are back to stock depth in tree. Have had no ill effects after 9+ months and 4k_ miles. More details about mounting can be found in my earlier thread.

Tall seat heights restrict many from buying many new models. Just realize that lowering a bike means things strike the ground sooner when leaning in a turn. Some riders never lean much and are happy with that so lowering is not an issue. I had to find middle ground.

Reactions: DTM74

·
Registered
251 Posts
What's your wife riding now? My wife is also 5'2 which makes finding good bikes for her very difficult. She rides dirt and street. For dirt as long as we shave the seat A LOT and she has an e-start it tends to be ok. Street seems to be more of an issue.
There are 2 options we'll be looking at shortly, the bolt & the MT/FZ07.

The bolt is fairly self explanatory, the girth height & weight of the 07 I think she will be able to deal with quite well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand from reading here that swapping out rear shock for ZX6RR shock will improve suspension and maintain rear height. And using the ZX10 shock will apparently raise height a bit. So, I wonder if there's some other model shock that would lower rear an inch or so without having to use any links or whatever -- and also improve suspension. Anyone know?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought a GSXR RR shock from a 07/08 model, and it's 12.5 inches from eye to eye center, so that should lower the rear slightly.

I'm not scared to raise it back up with longer links. :) (Did some eyeball mods to the FZ1 I had before, made custom rear links, with the holes in the right place for the R1 shock I retro-fitted to cure the lousy stock one. Worked great.)

Anyone know if the longer links will increase or decrease the rising rate effect on the shock? I'm a big dude, so going longer on the links with the FZ1 setup, made the spring work harder, not what I thought it would do, since longer arms transfer more tourqe/force right?

It's like slipping a cheater pipe on your breaker bar, a few inches sometimes is all you need.

The shock I just picked up appears to be one half inch shorter eye to eye center than the stock shock. If I make the links slightly longer, they would raise the rear up slightly, and a taller tail always makes a bike turn in faster. (At some point, you don't want more, it's dangerous, but a lower rear, and tall front forks is the recipe for a very slow handling bike that feels like a dog on any twisty road, but would be somewhat stable on the highway.)

But If I wanted a chopper, I'd be fine with long front forks, and a low rear... LOL

On this bike, the 09 seems to sag pretty easy with the stock rear spring/shock. The front is laughable too for a guy my size. Hit the brakes, or bumps, and it's dive city, or wallow big time. Fork springs, and/or/including valves to control them are going to be needed for any serious riding, but for commuting and the weekend ride with buddies who think HD's are sporting... It's fine, more than fine, it's a freaking race bike compared to most cruisers.

My goal is getting it sprung for me, tune the valves/dampening to get it comfortable around town, yet capable to have some fun on the miles of great roads we have here in Idaho, and enjoy the bike. (Some seat gel/mods would be good I'm finding.)

I will make this "RR" shock work. (It has the high/low speed compression adjustment, and rebound, all for less than 40.00, so I can't complain. Now to decide if I spend 1200.00 on the forks, or try some other options that are cheaper, but will work just fine for a rider like me. (Ride to work, ride on the weekends for fun, but really will never track this bike, assuming there was a track in Idaho.. LOL)

When it's done, the FZ09 will be a nice powerful supermoto that I can flat foot at stops, and weighs less than I do in gear. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts