Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just joined Fz-09.org today to get my new fizzer CCT kits and thought I would ask a quick question.

As of late I have noticed that my rear brake seems to lock up a lot quicker than it used to. Basically pushing on it any harder than a feather would lock it up. As the rear brake locking is quite scary at speed, I really need to get this fixed.

Any input or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey guys,

Just joined Fz-09.org today to get my new fizzer CCT kits and thought I would ask a quick question.

As of late I have noticed that my rear brake seems to lock up a lot quicker than it used to. Basically pushing on it any harder than a feather would lock it up. As the rear brake locking is quite scary at speed, I really need to get this fixed.

Thanks!
Does the rear caliper get hot even w/o using the brake? If so, I suspect brake fluid is not returning to the reservoir like it should. Like Bigweb said, get it back to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
We have rear brakes? LOL

Don't use it other than slowing down/coasting. If you're still on stock suspension the bike pitch forward a lot and touching the rear brake when the rear is unloaded could leave some skid mark on the ground and underwear! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
heh, I tend to ride the same way, both my duc and my fz, very very very very rare use of the rear brakes... panic braking and only a small small amount.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Can you describe your braking technique and the situation when it locked?

·
Registered
92 Posts
What do you mean?

Sent via Tapatalk.

If the rear wheel locks and then fish tails (out of alignment with the front wheel), keep the pressure on the read brake pedal. In other words, keep the rear wheel locked. If you release it when it is out of alignment with the front wheel, you risk a high-side crash. It is OK to release it as long as the front and rear wheels are aligned.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If the rear wheel locks and then fish tails (out of alignment with the front wheel), keep the pressure on the read brake pedal. In other words, keep the rear wheel locked. If you release it when it is out of alignment with the front wheel, you risk a high-side crash. It is OK to release it as long as the front and rear wheels are aligned.
One of the thing you learn pretty darn fast on dirt bikes.

1. If you lock the rear, keep it lock until going straight

2. Never shut the throttle off on a drift... keep it steady.

Well, I learn from my errors as a kid...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You can let off the rear brake in a sideways slide if you are quick enough to feather the clutch and jam the throttle to the stops to spin up the rear tire flat track style. It takes a big set of balls.

Adjust the nut and bolt on the brake clevis to increase the slack in the pedal.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1) take the bike to the dealer and have them inspect the rear brake
2) look at your brake technique. Sound's to me like you have technique issues even if the brake is operating wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts