Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fella's.

What spec grease are you supposed to use on the rear axle? I'm about to remove my rear, and i've looked at what i have in terms of grease, and this is all i have. Park Tool PPL-2 which is technically meant for bicycles.

Amazon.com: Park Tool PPL-2 Polylube 1000 Grease Tub (1 Lb): Sports & Outdoors

What do you reckon? good to go or get the proper stuff, in which case is what ?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It's the bearings that have grease, nothing turns directly on the axle.

From Yamaha the axles will be dry, I guess you might use a light smear of grease to aid assembly/dis-assembly.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
It's the bearings that have grease, nothing turns directly on the axle.

From Yamaha the axles will be dry, I guess you might use a light smear of grease to aid assembly/dis-assembly.
I always smear a dab of grease on the axles when I remove them. It makes putting them back a little bit easier.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Silkolene Pro RG2 synthetic is my first choice, the Bel Ray waterproof is my backup.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Chain spray or lithium based grease
Be sure to get some chain spray on the axle nut locking feature before you loosen it for the first time. It has metal leaf style locking elements and I have personal experience with those stripping the threads on a bolt from my Bonneville. Lesson learned for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That Bicycle grease will work fine for this honestly. I have tubs of that stuff laying around. As long as youre not putting it into the actual wheel bearings. Otherwise park grease is pretty good.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bel Ray waterproof grease here. Used it on all of my MX race bikes and never, ever had an issue with axle wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts