Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2900 miles on it currently. Looking at the Shinko 009s for a cheap replacement option, but am out a week on buying one. I hate to waste this awesome weather we're having right now in GA, but don't want to push the boundaries of stupid just so I can ride my motorcycle. Thoughts?

EDIT: A picture might help lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see that, they looked different yesterday, and I only put another 30 miles on it since then.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Careful, those last few mm go very quickly.
this - tire wear is not linear - it increases significantly towards the end of the tire life. There are plenty of threads on here talking about stretching tire life - you'll get the same answers as others have - the net of it - it's not a smart decision but it is ultimately YOUR decision.

Yes the weather is nice (finally) - but there are very few parts on the bike as critical as good rubber - is it worth the exponentially higher risk of low siding due to a worn tire? It's hard to see the wear bars in that photo - the tire looks pretty shot to me regardless of how many miles you put on it (# of miles ridden doesn't really have any impact on the tire - guys have burned through the stockers anywhere from 2,000 miles to 7,000 miles - given that - i would go by the wear indicators) if it's almost flush with those in the middle - stay off the tire . I don't have experience with Shinko - personally i like a tire i know will perform well - i have PP3s now and will buy them again based on their performance i've experienced, but to each their own.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No shame in that raven. I'm sure some elitist folk look down upon shinko, but I've had the 270 front on my klr for 9 thousand miles and it looks nearly new

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You will also find that the tire will wear faster if you push it and with higher speeds. So if you are not able to replace it for a few day, take it easy and keep a very close eye on your tires. have a good look at them every time you park the bike, just to be safe.

I know where you are coming from wanting to get your hands on a not so expensive tire. Just do some research and make sure the tires you are looking at have a decent wear life. Sometime cheaper tires end up costing you more in the long run, because they need to be replaced more often.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, due to taxes this year I'm in a bit of a tight spot(growing up is overrated), so i'm going budget for this time only. I read a lot of peoples opinions on mismatching tires, but i'll be keeping the stock front on until it wears down which will probably be soonish. When the front wears down I'm planning on switching out both to angel GTs, they look like the best option. It kills me to go budget on anything at all with this bike, but its either budget or no bike at all for a bit, so i'd rather take it easy for a couple of months :)

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Kind of like riding when you're waiting for your shift shaft recall service.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Park it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welp, it's gonna have to be ridden home, then no further for a week. Thanks for the input guys

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
133 Posts
A possible short-term option is a race take-off. They tend to have more wear on the sides/edges but they often have a reasonable amount of meat left in the centre. If you know any racers you might be able to pick one up fairly cheap. In my experience they are OK on the street but not so great in the wet, but YMMV.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Definitely none, looking at that.

I will give a big up for Shinko 009 Ravens. Had mine on for a couple hundred miles so far and feels great. I have run these on last few bikes and they are one of my favorite tires. Especially for the price. Great tire.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A possible short-term option is a race take-off. They tend to have more wear on the sides/edges but they often have a reasonable amount of meat left in the centre. If you know any racers you might be able to pick one up fairly cheap. In my experience they are OK on the street but not so great in the wet, but YMMV.
You know someone at work mentioned that to me aswell, I feel weird about it though, used tires make me nervous.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
2900 miles on it currently. Looking at the Shinko 009s for a cheap replacement option, but am out a week on buying one. I hate to waste this awesome weather we're having right now in GA, but don't want to push the boundaries of stupid just so I can ride my motorcycle. Thoughts?
For the Shink 009 on the rear, what is the price you can get one for??? and is your current stock tires the Bridgestone Battlax S20?

The only reason I ask is because from what I can find online, the price difference from the Shink to the Bridgestone is only about $12.

Shinko 009 Raven Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

If you are going to keep the front tire, I'd say go with the same rear tire if the price difference is so close. Having matching tires is better, plus you are already use to how the bike handles with these tires, which makes riding more predictable.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the Shink 009 on the rear, what is the price you can get one for??? and is your current stock tires the Bridgestone Battlax S20?

The only reason I ask is because from what I can find online, the price difference from the Shink to the Bridgestone is only about $12.

Shinko 009 Raven Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

If you are going to keep the front tire, I'd say go with the same rear tire if the price difference is so close. Having matching tires is better, plus you are already use to how the bike handles with these tires, which makes riding more predictable.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.
True. I was going to go with the shikanos because they supposedly get more mileage out of them, but if i'm going to replace them anyway in another 3k miles or so I might as well get the same tire i have now. Good call

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is kind of what I was thinking, get the same rear tire for now. Then when you need another new rear, the front will be ready to replace as well. Then get a new set of matching tires for both front & rear.

One of the guys I work with have a Suzuki SV1000R with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2. So far he was about 1/32" left on the rear tire to the wear bars, and he has clocked 20,000 km's (12,427 miles) on them. Which is why I am thinking of going with the PR3's when the stock Battlax's wear out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
12k? Wow. That's what I need. With as much riding as I do, I can't afford to be replacing tires every 3k miles. I hear good things about the PR3's, but i believe I read somewhere here that the Angel GT's were better for more aggressive riding? I doubt I'd even be able to push either tire to it's limit, but I still want to get one that is going to be better suited for my riding style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
True. I was going to go with the shikanos because they supposedly get more mileage out of them, but if i'm going to replace them anyway in another 3k miles or so I might as well get the same tire i have now. Good call
It IS a good call, and Rocky_MTN_FZ09 beat me to it. And I'd give a thumbs up on the Battlax based on my experience with them on another bike, but when it's time to get a whole new set, you've already done the smart thing--check and see what other folks are saying about specific experiences with specific tires on this motorcycle, based on riding style, type of road, etc. There are so many variables otherwise, that the cheapest tire for your bike may be the best option, and the most expensive the worst. It's hard to be brand loyal with tires if you ride aggressively (or drive that way in your cage). Aside from actually defective tires (sidewall bubbles, belts breaking right after install, etc.) Dunlop, Michelin and Bridgestone have each made some of the worst tires AND some of the best tires I've ever bought, depending on vehicle/bike.

Additionally, I've had good luck at various times with Kumho, Sumitomo, Avon, etc. Buy something that both works and that you can afford, and totally ignore the brand-loyal snobs. That said, all other things being equal, if a Bridgestone is only 12 bucks more and there haven't been any bad reviews with it on this bike, then I'd prolly go with the Battlax.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts