Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the real top speed of the FZ-09 and how to avoid the speed limiter?

Reactions: Jkaiser93

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't think anyone knows yet because the speed limiter in the ECU has yet to be cracked...crazy huh?

Some smart folks here have estimated in the 140's though

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll be trying a gear switch wiring mod I saw somewhere, along with a sprocket change. Time and my gps will tell haha

·
Registered
251 Posts
234kph indicated by the speedo.

I have NFI what the revs were doing at this speed as I was too busy trying to keep it in a straight line.

The couple of guys, one being another forum member can tell you what they hit at the same time.

@schultzy

I'm going to elaborate.

This bike is not built or designed for these speeds. It's not particularly fun, more shit your pants scary.

Unlike a sportsbike that gives you a false sense of security by keeping you out of the wind & allows a perception of not travelling as quickly as you are, this bike shakes its head & the front end is extremely easy to get off the ground (not deliberately) when hitting small bumps.

Whilst you *could* ride the bike like this if you chose to, it'd only be a matter of time before it bit you on the ass.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think anyone knows yet because the speed limiter in the ECU has yet to be cracked...crazy huh?

Some smart folks here have estimated in the 140's though
The ECU Unleashed flash removes the limiter (or EU/AU models dont have one to begin with) - Ive had mine at 230kmh on the dot (approx 143mph) and its got more to give but as @sporti said, the last thing I was doing was looking at RPMs at that point. I can try to grab a glance next time however the 09's tacho is hard to read at cruising speed let alone 200kmh+ :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah! I stand corrected...is "ECU unleashed" another alternative to Stoltec and Flashtune? hadn't heard about that yet.
I get points for being close on my guess, right?
How much more do you reckon the 'ol girl had...could it possibly do 150mph (241kmh)? Did you have a screen?...and any weight/drag reduction mods?...performance mods?...what is your weight.

I wonder theoretically with a few basic mods, and a 90th % male (like 185lbs)...what the top speed could be???

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yeah! I stand corrected...is "ECU unleashed" another alternative to Stoltec and Flashtune? hadn't heard about that yet.
I get points for being close on my guess, right?
How much more do you reckon the 'ol girl had...could it possibly do 150mph (241kmh)? Did you have a screen?...and any weight/drag reduction mods?...performance mods?...what is your weight.

I wonder theoretically with a few basic mods, and a 90th % male (like 185lbs)...what the top speed could be???
I regularly hit the 131 limit and I don't find it to be scary at all. I think 150 is attainable seeing how hard it pulls up until it stops. I think it's right around 8k when you're at 131.

Reactions: Vbp6us

·
Registered
7 Posts
tested the top speed this weekend with no flash. I hit 133 MPH(on the speedo) full throttle (214 Kph) RPM's were around 9-10K.
it was...difficult...to say the least...i even had the Ermax 25cm fly screen.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ECU Unleashed flash removes the limiter (or EU/AU models dont have one to begin with) - Ive had mine at 230kmh on the dot (approx 143mph) and its got more to give but as @sporti said, the last thing I was doing was looking at RPMs at that point. I can try to grab a glance next time however the 09's tacho is hard to read at cruising speed let alone 200kmh+ :)
My U.K bike will not go above 139 MPH no matter what the length of straight, it just sits there. Tested on the track by the way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What mode are you guys using ?

I have the Aussie MT09 and in the first week I had it I took it out for a squirt to see what it could do, in "A" mode it struggled, it was quick but had no top speed, I changed to "S" mode and easily clocked 198kph on my GPS and it was much happier at speed.

That was during the motor run in period and I have not tried another top speed run.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
tested the top speed this weekend with no flash. I hit 133 MPH(on the speedo) full throttle (214 Kph) RPM's were around 9-10K.
it was...difficult...to say the least...i even had the Ermax 25cm fly screen.
Not being a pain, but what was difficult about it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hit 222kph which is more around 138mph? Give or take.
Ditto. I'm 185 without gear, 195 with.
Had the power bronze 380 mm windscreen on, which near as I can tell got me another 10 kph. Without it I hit the limiter at 210. Could be my squared off tire too.
Bike definitely has more after the limiter, but not tons. I'd guess it'd top out at 240, maybe 250

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The bike just lacks the aerodynamics to feel comfortable above 130 mph in my opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
210km+ for a few seconds.

Could have gone faster, but as soon as I hit 200 something in my psyche tells me to slow down.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently did 126 mph by the speedo in 4th gear, and it was still pulling strong. I am really not interested in high speed but I love the acceleration. When it is pulling strong with a light front end, I just don't want to back off. Then the next thing you know, some big numbers come up on the dial. I couldn't do that before I installed my MRA windscreen. The wind blast just caused too much pain in ancient injuries (torn rotator cuffs, etc.).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If I ever get the time, I will wire in my Speedo Healer and half my readout so that I can report back the top speed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts