Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would those with real-life experience on the FJ-09 - not just a test-ride around the block - kindly post comments and observations. I'm particularly keen to know if the abrupt throttle responses are still there (some reviewers say they are, others not): about the seat comfort (my choice will be the lower position): and the effectiveness or otherwise of the screen.

Since personal ergonomics come into it, your height and/ or in-seam measurement would help comparisons: FYI I'm 5'9"-and-a-bit, 31" inseam.

Magazine reviews so far - and there have been none here in Oz - seem reasonably positive, but then one can never really trust professional journos who have been flown to faraway exotic places, wined and dined, and whose livelihood depends on being given access to a constant flow of new bikes. Too often, all they seem to write is a regurgitated version of the PR put out by the manufacturer. In other words, how objective are some of them??

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model)

Brisbane, Queensland, eastern Australia (32 degrees C today = 90F)

(Just parted with a 2013 BMW R1200 R Roadster, my fourth of this model after three GSs).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm 5'9 with a 29" inseam,(yeah, that means all my pants are too long) and I can't put my feet down on the fj, whereas on the FZ I'm on the balls of my feet.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5'9 with a 29" inseam,(yeah, that means all my pants are too long) and I can't put my feet down on the fj, whereas on the FZ I'm on the balls of my feet.
That's interesting! With the seat on its lower setting I can put both feet down and be flat-footed on both sides.

L of S

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 33" inseam, yes that means I'm all torso... The screen works best for me in the lowest position so the wind hits me about chest level, anything higher than that introduces way too much wind noise under my helmet. The seat is ok, it's a bit stiff for me and I have read on the FJ forums that it breaks in nicely after about 1000 miles of seat time. The throttle seems fine to me, most of my riding has been in STD mode or B mode because of the rain. STD is very smooth and B seems a bit lethargic, which is probably it's intended feel for bad weather. I do know that in B mode in 2nd or 3rd gear it will still start the rear to spin in the wet causing TC to intervene. Mine is still sitting @Traxxion getting work done so I will provide more thorough insight after I get some significant seat time.

There is one review on YouTube from a man in the UK that says he can ever so slightly feel some surging in the fueling around 5-10mph when just crawling. Like the guy in the video, I'm used to perfect fueling from well sorted carbs on an FZ1 and I think he is a bit picky. Maybe he got a particularly touchy model, I don't know. In one point he says it's one of the better fuel injected bikes he's ever ridden, then criticizes it. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I got to test ride one at Daytona Bike week 8 days ago. Test ride was about 7-8 miles. To me, the seat felt lower than my FZ09: 6'-2" 34" inseam. Rode it mostly in A mode and I did not sense the abrupt throttle response that my FZ had. I don't know if it was because it was so new, but I know my bike is faster (Stoltec flashed ECU). I enjoyed the higher handlebars and that height was increased via factory installed risers which if I recall correctly, angled back slightly toward the rider. Not sure if the handlebars are the same as the FZ though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read on the FJ forums that it breaks in nicely after about 1000 miles of seat time. The throttle seems fine to me, most of my riding has been in STD mode or B mode because of the rain.
Thank you: are there other forums? Participation here seems rather light!

L of S

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have a FZ6R returning customer that contact me yesterday, got a FJ09. He should stop by this week. Hopefully he let me ride it? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a little over 2000 miles on mine. Its my first real street bike (Lots of ktm-dirt and supermotos). I did a 370 mile ride awhile back and felt fine with it. You can read my post here-http://fj-09.org/thread/372/stole-winter-got-love-california. Last weekend I put on about 250 miles but it was all slab. The windscreen takes some adjusting and like bmidd said- the lowest setting seems to work the best. I'm 5'10" and I can little more than tip toe with it. Not flat footed but I feel confident with it. I'm used to dirtbikes so the extra height is normal for me. In fact it seems very much like my supermoto as far as riding ergonomics wise as well as cornering wise. I do find I tend to site at the very front of the seat which tend to make the junk fall asleep but a quick stand and things are good to go. I to tend to ride in STD mode since A mode seems pretty abrupt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going on 2 years with riding an FZ 09 , one of the first out. Done some mods, most important was a power commander installation. Long story short I just returned from about a 1500 mile run. From Houston Tx. to Abilene Tx, than all over West tx. The Bike ran like a dream, not a lot storage ( tank bag ) small gas tank. lot to holler about. But Once you hit the road all that becomes minor. I have a trip coming up in Aug. To Ft. Davis Tx. Little over 600 miles, one way. Start riding around 1968 and am now 77 yrs. old. Still love the open road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts