Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to test ride this bike and was instantly in love. I'm looking to add this bike to my garage but wanted to know why? Why would you recommend this bike and what are some known issues now that the bike has been out for a year now, by the way I'm looking for a brand new red 2014.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why not? Haha only real issues are the cam chain tensioner and headlight harness, which are both recalls. Other than that seat, suspension and flashed ecu (or updated ecu flash also done by dealer to remove anarchy throttle)

Beast of a bike and I love it!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm looking for a brand new red 2014.
Reason
#1 - You're already in love!
#2 - You're looking for the fastest color!
#3 - You're gonna continue to love the bike n color!

(a sorted FZ09...is lovely!)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just a note, the bike has been out in North America since 2014 as the FZ-09, but out in Europe since 2013 as the MT-09. So it has actually been out for a couple years now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I need to make sure that the dealer has done the cam chain tensioner, headlight harness and ECU flashed before leaving is this all?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Man I love the rc8. Which color do you u have? Will you please post pics?!?
The main gripe with the fz-09 is the suspension. The motor overwhelms the suspenion when pushing the bike hard in the turns. But if you already have a SS, then you should be able to appreciate the fZ-09 for what it is. Most don't have the luxury of having a SS and a hooiigan bike, thus many try and get the fz on par with an SS. You may find that is not necessary.

Are you looking for a 14 or 15?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You joking right?
Having known an RC8 pretty closely I'll tell you that, that bike has 1 thing going for it and that's it's looks. Now you tell me 1 good thing about it??

How many miles have you put on that RC8 to determine it to be a great bike?

How successful was KTM in AMA superbike with it a couple of years ago?

Where were they for World Superbike?

KTM doesn't know sport bikes and if they don't make any changes to the RC8 in the next couple of years they'll give it up. Most of their good street bikes are based around super motard style bikes or they are really good dirt bikes that are street legal.
KTM builds good dirt bikes THE END.

I hope you buy an FZ-09. Make it a 2014 and Orange!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why not? Haha only real issues are the cam chain tensioner and headlight harness, which are both recalls. Other than that seat, suspension and flashed ecu (or updated ecu flash also done by dealer to remove anarchy throttle)

Beast of a bike and I love it!
Unless something has changed recently, the CCT isn't a recall issue. However, dealers will replace it if the owner finds the tensioner failing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having known an RC8 pretty closely I'll tell you that, that bike has 1 thing going for it and that's it's looks. Now you tell me 1 good thing about it??

KTM doesn't know sport bikes and if they don't make any changes to the RC8 in the next couple of years they'll give it up. Most of their good street bikes are based around super motard style bikes or they are really good dirt bikes that are street legal.

There is always somebody who has a negative experience though, no matter what make or model.... In fact my MT-09 - suspension is absolute shit and fueling leaves a fair bit to be desired (case in point)

I've owned a Superduke and done 65,000k's on it and loved it, commute, toured and smoked sportsbikes on the weekend! The only issues I had were clutch master related and cost $200 to fix, yet some people hate them.

In my experience with bikes I've NEVER heard any bike get a thumbs up from absolutely everybody, I've done a fair bit of riding on an RC8R and it's a good bike, is it perfect definitely not but neither is anything else...

·
Registered
4,616 Posts

I don't know anything about you or our new poster, but this seems a bit harsh. If he likes the bike, why chew him up and spit him out because you don't. Maybe your post would be more helpful if you list the problems you've had with it. It's really not up to the op to defend his position on liking this bike.

I'm sure we've all read posts bragging about this bike or the other and thinking, I hate that bike. But, the poster has a right to his opinion and we should respect that. And you're entitled to yours, but this sounded more like an attack on him by challenging him to reinforce why he likes it.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way and hopefully he didn't take it that way. And maybe I misread the whole thing. Just my two cents and I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My bad guys maybe that was a bit harsh. I guess that's what happens after a couple of Red Bull and Vodkas. My bad. Let me start over.

PMason718 you'll like that the FZ-09 wheelies as easily as the RC8, that even the stock seat is better than the RC8' s, and you'll love the fact that oil changes don't consist of cleaning screens and take 15mins or less. Oh ya and checking the oil is consistent hot or cold.

As Bam said the FZ suspension sucks your going to miss the WP suspension no matter what you do the front will never be up to sport bike standards. And every time you fill up the FZ with gas nobody's gonna ask you what is that who makes that I've never seen one before.

I personally like the harsh stock fueling of the FZ it takes a pretty steady throttle to negotiate it.

I had high hopes for KTM and their RC8 when it came out as great as the bike is too look at it never really was on the level. I wanted them to do what BMW did with the S1000RR take the ball and run with it.

Sorry to anybody who got their feelings hurt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man I love the rc8. Which color do you u have? Will you please post pics?!?
The main gripe with the fz-09 is the suspension. The motor overwhelms the suspenion when pushing the bike hard in the turns. But if you already have a SS, then you should be able to appreciate the fZ-09 for what it is. Most don't have the luxury of having a SS and a hooiigan bike, thus many try and get the fz on par with an SS. You may find that is not necessary.

Are you looking for a 14 or 15?
I'm not on my PC to upload pics but below is a link of me riding it. I want the 2014 in red but I've found a 2015 in silver with the blue wheels for a absolute great price I believe $7396 OTD, is this not a popular color amongst forum members?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have a 2013 with about 5K miles on it, I don't care what they do with the bike in racing and if they won, I love the styling and handling of the bike i think it's amazing. I'm 35 and I've been riding since I was a kid I've bren all types of bikes and nothing compares to the handling of the RC8. I sold my ZX10 which is much faster for the RC8, I'm not into speeding and IMO the bike is amazing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless something has changed recently, the CCT isn't a recall issue. However, dealers will replace it if the owner finds the tensioner failing.
So which ones are considered part of the official recall? This way I make sure the dealer has everything done once I get there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah that's why I asked. There are no recalls or factory problems with the 15's. They got all those bugs sorted out. And yes $7396 is a great price for a 2015. Personally the silver with blue is my favorite color scheme. Most don't have it because they only made it for the 2015 model. But it will most likely become very popular because it looks great!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am super jealous of your RC8, in my opinion the best looking sport bike on the market today. As far as the grey/blue color goes as was already mentioned the 2015's haven't been around too long so I don't think you will see to many guys with them. I have a Yellow '15 and as much as I love it if the dealership had one of the grey/blue bikes my decision would have been much harder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not on my PC to upload pics but below is a link of me riding it. I want the 2014 in red but I've found a 2015 in silver with the blue wheels for a absolute great price I believe $7396 OTD, is this not a popular color amongst forum members?

Do mind sharing where you found such screamin good deal? I'd be willing to travel a few states away for that price. If you're nervous about someone swooping in to jump on that before you and don't want to share no problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts