Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to do a budget suspension upgrade to my fz09. Anything would be an upgrade from stock for my 250 pounds. After a few emails back and forth with Nick of stoltec moto I had a Penske 8900 shock and .95 fork springs from sonic springs on their way for a very reasonable price. Even though the shock came from PA and the springs drop shipped from OK everything arrived yesterday.

Tackled the springs last night using DNFDOUG's guide in the how to section. The first fork took some time but the second one was a breeze. Just installed the shock tonight and it was really easy once the tank was lifted and I figured out how to support the bike from the frame. I ended up just using a couple jack stands under the bottom mount of each rear set and rags so nothing gets scratched. Only problem with that is the left and right mounting points are not even but some adjustment of the jack stands and cardboard shims got them pretty even. And I limited the time on the stands as much as possible to avoid any tip overs.

Took it for a short spin and the machine has been transformed! Further fine tuning will make it that much better. The headlight and high beam are more effective now since the rear is not squatting so much. The front does not blow through its travel with light braking anymore. And best of all that wonderful power is more directly connected to the pavement! Instead of rocking back and compressing the rear end the rear stays level and the front end gets really REALLY light.

Cant recommend suspension upgrades enough and Stoltec moto has been wonderful to deal with.:cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats! My springs came today but I won't be able to swing the shock until after Xmas. Glad to hear you are happy with the results.

Daniel

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Cant recommend suspension upgrades enough and Stoltec moto has been wonderful to deal with.:cool:
:wav:

(that's the second time I allowed myself to use that emoticon today, lol).

So happy to hear of another happy customer! This really is an amazing bike once properly sprung and damped! I could only rave so hard before it just looks like poor salesmanship...but 'the proof is in the puddin', and the -09 is finally the bike it should have been - and more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree RC, I rode my upgraded suspension for the first time yesterday, Nick does a great job!

Best money you can spend on a FZ-09 for sure

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something to look out for that I forgot to mention in the OP. When installing the Penske shock you will need smaller O.D. washers for the bolt on the swing arm end of the shock. The factory washers are larger than the recesses machined into the shock's aluminum. They sit above instead of laying flat in the recesses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts