Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking at a 2005 Honda RC51. It has 4700 miles and seems real clean. I am looking for a supersport that is unconventional. I like many here, have had to many inline-4's and want something different. What do you guys think about the rc51? Any thing I should look for when purchasing? The guys on the 51 forums have been real helpful. But there is a lot of wisdom here, and I thought I would see out opinions from you guys here. Thanks in advanced for your opinions and input.
image.jpg

·
Registered
957 Posts
The RC51 would be my go-to if I ever wanted to go back to the dark side of owning a supersport and couldn't afford to buy new. I wouldn't even consider anything else unless my financial position allowed for me to be able to buy & maintain a brand new piece of European-built machinery.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I've never owned one personally, but I've ridden a couple of them that were owned by friends....but that have been quite a few years ago. I know they are torque monsters, but as I recall, they are pretty heavy for a bike of that displacement. Stock suspension isn't the greatest, but certainly livable unless you are going to be tracking it. I can't say for sure, but it seems like they run pretty warm in the summer, so I've also heard from my buddies that you definitely don't want to spend much time in a stop and go traffic situation. Other than that, I'm outta info on them.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As always Vern, spot on. From a strict performance viewpoint, even the 954rr would be superior, much less a 1000rr. But this bike, if purchased, wouldn't see the track or much riding really. Just occasionally on a nice weekend perhaps.

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
I've known three owners of RC51's and everyone of those riders described them as muscular rather than lithe.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If I lived in Jacksonville Florida..i wouldn't own a RC 51 for several reasons. No curves....it runs hot in traffic....heavy as hell.....for a few. If you want something "different"...look at an Aprilia Tuono....or a Shiver.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't tell if your being funny or not? Either way I'm in the U.S. and we only have the FZ. And I had one. Great bike, loved the motor so much. If I win the lottery I am gonna take an r3 and put that 850 triple into it!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the rc51 was the production platform for honda's superbike effort, so stock it's heavy because it's a bit overbuilt. and like others have mentioned, they run hot in traffic because side mounted radiators just don't work as well as conventional front-mounted ones.

it's a good bike, but if i were in the market for a used liter class v-twin supersport that was unconventional/funky, i'd have a suzuki tl1000r.

p.s. what happened to your 09?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Also do not expect good MPG's out of that bike hahaha. I've heard of some getting as low as 25 MPG's.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Side mount rads like my Vfr 800 where honda used the air flow through the fairings to beat the laws of physics. I now have a front mount on my Vfr.
Side mounts run hot without air flow, stop start traffic will suck, open roads are fine.
I know a few guys with the VTR cooking version and they loved them, and one with a tricked up sp1, and he loved it. If you want small, slim and lithe, sp1/2 ain't it. If you want heavy and grunty to manhandle through corners, it's a good choice.
And they sound awesome.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the rc51 was the production platform for honda's superbike effort, so stock it's heavy because it's a bit overbuilt. and like others have mentioned, they run hot in traffic because side mounted radiators just don't work as well as conventional front-mounted ones.

it's a good bike, but if i were in the market for a used liter class v-twin supersport that was unconventional/funky, i'd have a suzuki tl1000r.

p.s. what happened to your 09?

The 09, I sold it a last year. As for the tl1000r those are cool bikes too. Do you know if they have a cult like following as with the RC's? It seems the vast majority of them that I find have chrome rims and a huge rear tire.

You might consider a Suzuki SV1000 too. They're underrated in my opinion, and can be had for a very good price.
Yeah I had a 2006 SV1000S. It was a fun bike. It would lug in the lower rpms, but over 4,000 rpms it had a nice linear power band. I always loved the way they looked with a full fairing. Here is a pic of the one i had. But they compete more with the vtr1000f super hawk than the RC's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I loved my SP-1 :)

Tons of grunt, great chassis. The sound of the bike was amazing :D
Yes, they run really hot traffic! Careful when performing full lock turns, this bike loves to pin your thumbs to the tank. This bike also eats rear tires I've found :) but shouldn't be a issue, if you're riding it ocassionally.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I thought I could help but everybody has said what I had to say. Honda built it to beat the Ducatis in racing. Nicky Hayden won the AMA Superbike Championship on one and Colin Edwards won World Superbike. But they were competing against 750 cc fours (and Ducs). There was also a recent article in Cycle World calling the RC51 a best used bike. If I could swing it I would buy it. Something about a 90 degree V twin........

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The 09, I sold it a last year. As for the tl1000r those are cool bikes too. Do you know if they have a cult like following as with the RC's? It seems the vast majority of them that I find have chrome rims and a huge rear tire.
i'd say the tls has more of a cult following (mainly from its reputation as being a supposed widowmaker), but the tlr is part of the same bloodline. check out tlplanet.com.

suzuki likes to raid their parts bin, so things like gsxr wheels, forks, brakes, etc. swap relatively easily onto the tl.

Yeah I had a 2006 SV1000S. It was a fun bike. It would lug in the lower rpms, but over 4,000 rpms it had a nice linear power band. I always loved the way they looked with a full fairing. Here is a pic of the one i had. But they compete more with the vtr1000f super hawk than the RC's.
the sv1000s is basically a slightly tamed down, more refined version of the tls/tlr.

there aren't a whole lot of choices when it comes to liter-class v-twin supersports. i think we covered all of them, except for the ducatis.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'd say the tls has more of a cult following (mainly from its reputation as being a supposed widowmaker), but the tlr is part of the same bloodline. check out tlplanet.com.

suzuki likes to raid their parts bin, so things like gsxr wheels, forks, brakes, etc. swap relatively easily onto the tl.

the sv1000s is basically a slightly tamed down, more refined version of the tls/tlr.

there aren't a whole lot of choices when it comes to liter-class v-twin supersports. i think we covered all of them, except for the ducatis.

Thank you. I will check out their forum.
RC51 has gear-driven cams, no CCT issues! :p
YAY!!!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have one pretty much what everyone has said above. It's also the most aggressive riding position I've ever been in with my elbows past my knees. I looked at suzuki's TL1000R I made the right choice. The RC is a pig a short stout pig. I bought mine New and I've still got it. You rarely find them for sale and if their in good shape they sell quick. I'd look for one that hasn't been messed with. Stock mapping cause they ran fine I've put over 20k miles on mine. My biggest regret was cutting off my rear fender for a undertail. It looks clean but I should have left the square taillights. The blacks being the last year's 05,06 seem to bring a little more.

What's the price and how many miles??

1 - 20 of 92 Posts