Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my screen name didn't quite work out the way I had hoped for with the ol' State Treasury as Raven was taken for a plate....... But I will stick with it for here. I have some new killer plate ideas thought up, and I am just waiting for my MSO so I can register the bike and get my plates!

But I digress....

I picked up my Liquid Graphite FZ-09 on April 11th. I love the colorway.

Safety first right? I have been a Icon guy since their beginning. It's my kind of style. I threw some money at new riding gear and here is what I outfitted myself with...

Airmada Salient
Airframe Manic
Overlord Prime Jacket
Overlord Short Gloves
Superduty 4 Boots
Speed and Strength jeans (only because of Kevlar in seat)

I look pretty badass (AND SAFE!) geared up. I ordered my girl the new Airmada Chantilly for her birthday that is coming up.

I have thrown down some serious coin on upgrades for the bike, and parts are slowly starting to trickle in so here is a list in no particular order of what's going on it very soon, some starting tonight.

Evotech Radiator Guard
Evotech Mesh Intake Covers
Woodcraft frame Sliders from Stoltec
Tech Spec Tank Pads from Stoltec
Tech Spec Gripster Keychain from Stoltec - Cause' that's how I roll bro
Pit Bull Spools
Pit Bull Spooled Rear Stand - Extended Handle
Graves Fender Eliminator
Rizoma Turn Signals - all four
Rizoma Indicator Light Cable Kits
Rizoma Adapters
Rizoma Spy-Q Bar End Mirror

I will start posting pictures once parts start going on. I decided to go with looks first. Noise maker can come later. I think the bike handles well for me right now. But suspension will be done.

Future Super Awesome Mods!

Akrapovic Exhaust
Stoltec Flash
Stoltec front GP forks
Stoltec Triple Clicker Penske Shock
Carbon Fiber fenders whenever someone gets around to making them - HURRY UP!
Gel seat - Again! HURRY UP PEOPLE!
Avon 3D Ultra Sport tires - I'm boycotting Michelin cause their truck tires blow

As of right now it has 540 miles on it, and I am doing the first oil change tomorrow at the dealership so they can give it the once over. I will do a bit of riding before hand, so it should be right at the 600 when I get there.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Picture time!

The day I brought her home

Evotech Radiator Guard and Intake Screens

Genuine Yamaha Accessories Fly Screen

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It got it's first oil change yesterday at 612 miles. Lubed chain and adjusted the throttle to take out a little play.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonight was kind of disappointing. I went to install the Graves fender eliminator and at least the rear Rizoma turn signals. I am waiting for the adapters for the front turn signals (which turns out I am waiting for the adapters for the fronts AND rears). I was not to happy I had to cut and drill a piece of factory plastic to make the Graves Eliminator fit, but whatever, it is not too noticeable. While I had everything apart for now, I devised a plan on how to run the wiring to make it look factory when the Rizomas go in, and even run these trick license plate bolt LED lights I picked up. Here is what it looks like for now. I need my plate pretty bad!

So back to the Rizomas. I ordered Rizoma part number EE093H which are the Indicator Light Cable Kit from Motostarz. Motostarz has been good so far (I ordered the radiator guard and vents from them). My only complaint is every delivery had been signature required USPS, and where I live, that turns out to be a real pain in the ass. I called Motostarz earlier today to confirm these were the right cable adapters, and they said yes, they have been selling tons of them, and they even double checked on Rizomas site to confirm part numbers. This part number is WRONG. Here are some comparison photos with whats on the bike, and what I received.

The gray and black connectors are the turn signal connections. Clearly you can see this isn't going to work. I found some adapters on ebay, so I am going to order those up tonight, and hash these out with Motostarz later. BTW, my order with them is not over as I have not received my Rizoma Spy-Q mirror and turn signal adapters from them yet, as I was told they were on backorder. Can anyone here confirm the Rizoma adapters will work with the Graves fender eliminator? Because from the Rizoma pictures, the adapters look flat, and I don't see how they would fit into the Graves bracket??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate waiting for parts. I REALLY want my Rizomas on! Hopefully parts show up today......

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have the graves eliminator and I didn't have to cut any plastic at all. The only thing I had to drill was two holes in the graves kit to fit the key lock cover and that's completely optional for installation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey man, looks cool! Only suggestion, I had the pirellis step out on me pretty bad a lot more than I like.(on my old buell) Went with dunlop q3s for the fz and so far they're excellent. Just a suggestion,

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the graves eliminator and I didn't have to cut any plastic at all. The only thing I had to drill was two holes in the graves kit to fit the key lock cover and that's completely optional for installation.
I had to cut the key lock cover bracket off that extends to the original fender. No biggie. I just hate cutting factory things!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey man, looks cool! Only suggestion, I had the pirellis step out on me pretty bad a lot more than I like.(on my old buell) Went with dunlop q3s for the fz and so far they're excellent. Just a suggestion,
I've been doing some research, and the Avon 3D Ultra Sport and Supersport tires have caught my eye. I dig their technology, and from the reviews I have read, they have tons of grip. I might try those out in the future.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Future Super Awesome Mods!

Akrapovic Exhaust
PCV
Autotune
Stoltec Flash
Stoltec front GP forks
Stoltec Triple Clicker Penske Shock
Carbon Fiber fenders whenever someone gets around to making them - HURRY UP!
Gel seat - Again! HURRY UP PEOPLE!
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires - I'm boycotting Michelin cause their truck tires blow
Don't neglect the headlight, night riding isn't as safe with the OEM halogen on most motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did you have the dealer change the oil?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FINALLY. The Rizoma mirror showed up from Motostarz. I don't think I will be ordering from them again. To much of a hassle with shipping. I hope to try and install it tonight, and maybe start tearing into the turn signals since the weather isn't going to be optimal for the next few days. I have my kids this weekend, and it is my daughters AND my girlfriends birthday this weekend, so working on the bike might take a back burner depending on what they want to do. I still have to post the photos I took of installing the frame sliders and tank pads.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. I've been slacking off updating my thread here. A lot of stuff happened late last week and over the weekend. But, all the parts I have ordered thus far are on the bike, and I have to say, it is looking awesome. Sorry for the cell phone pics, but I kept forgetting to bring a good camera to my shop.

So this is what it looked like when we left off....

I removed the stock mirrors and added the Rizoma bar end mirror. This really makes the bike look lower (and adds pure awesome), and I can see really well behind me.

I started to take apart the necessary things to add the Rizoma turn signals and new headlight bulbs and LED's.

My son fell asleep on the shop stools while we were working....

Lights in and working!

I just realized I didn't get any shots of the new headlight bulbs with the bike running. I will get that in the future when the weather gets a bit better. The new bulbs REALLY make the bike look better and mean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pazzo Racing Levers are where it's at! These showed up super quick from motivationusa.com. My girlfriend and I ordered them last Thursday night for my upcoming birthday, and they showed up this past Monday drop shipped from Pazzo! I don't care who you are, that's lightening fast!

Before:

After!

They are really cool kit. The CNC work in them is amazing. The brake side was super easy. I regreased the pivot points with some great Tri-Flow clear synthetic grease I have from my downhill mountain bike days. The clutch side required an extra set of hands (which I coincidentally had) to hold the clutch cable from sucking in while I installed the new lever. Literally a 15 minute job for both sides, and that was me being anal like I am. I can't wait to try these out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am still waiting on my plate, and I will be ordering my exhaust VERY soon. More details on that later. I talked directly with the manufacturer on the exhaust I want, and received very good news. I don't want to let the cat outta the bag until it is actually ordered.

Future mods I have planned after exhaust is a black handlebar, Rizoma grips, GPR, fork sliders, seat, and then shocks from Stoltec whenever I have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to sell me something...
haha, maybe. Most people who dump a bunch of money into their bike will neglect the headlight and then complain that the output isn't good. Just letting you know there is more you can do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered my Akrapovic Carbon Racing Line exhaust this morning! My source tells me that they will be shipping from Akrapovic in the beginning of June. I have also been talking directly with Akrapovic about their exhaust for the FZ09. I confirmed with them ABSOLUTELY NO REMAPPING IS REQUIRED WITH THEIR SYSTEMS. It seems like everyone is going to be running their titanium exhaust, and I like the look of their carbon one better. It will help the bike be more blacked out, and I will be one of the first to have it! I can't wait to see blue flames popping out on decel.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts