Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
666 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I’ve never heard that before but I will definitely do it.

Edit: Now I’m trying to figure out why that works?……🤔
[/QUOTpro
Thanks for the tip! I’ve never heard that before but I will definitely do it.

Edit: Now I’m trying to figure out why that works?……🤔
Prolonged brake pressure helps force out micro bubbles trapped in banjo fittings and anywhere else they may be lurking.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Might be different for non-ABS but I used a hand pump and that will be the last time. I had a recycle bin under the hand pump because it literally squirted everywhere like a hooker on Valentine’s Day.
Air compressor keeps everything...prestine
I have never used an air compressor but when I changed my lines, I had no issue using a Mity-Vac hand pump to pull the fluid through the system and then normal bleed to get the air out of the system.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have never used an air compressor but when I changed my lines, I had no issue using a Mity-Vac hand pump to pull the fluid through the system and then normal bleed to get the air out of the system.
You know... I bought two of those mity vac things. I never had very good luck with them for some reason. (I’m having brake fluid smell and rough hand flash backs now..)

I should give them another go. I’ve also never done the reverse filling method where you essentially inject brake fluid through the bleeders up to the reservoir.
Anyway. Hope you get your machine up and running soon and it’s not too cold where you are to go for a rip. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
...those mity vac things. I never had very good luck with them for some reason.
It makes a word of difference if you seal the hose connection to the caliper nipple with brake grease, and brush brake grease around where the brake nipple screws into the caliper. This will keep air from screwing up what you are trying to do.

THEN when you use the mity vac to "suck" and create a vacume, and crack open the bleeder nipple, you only get fluid and any bubbles that were in the brake line. You eliminate all the air that shoots in from around the threads and from a poorly sealing hose attached to the bleeder nipple. Makes a night and day difference.

If you don't have brake grease (like Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant) you can use any other grease (wheel bearing, lithium assembly lube, etc) because it is external to the brake system and will be wiped away when you are done.

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
You know... I bought two of those mity vac things. I never had very good luck with them for some reason. (I’m having brake fluid smell and rough hand flash backs now..)

I should give them another go. I’ve also never done the reverse filling method where you essentially inject brake fluid through the bleeders up to the reservoir.
Anyway. Hope you get your machine up and running soon and it’s not too cold where you are to go for a rip. :)
Thanks for the warm thoughts, but this is what I woke up to this morning. The skidsteer will be my only toy for the next couple months. It’s kinda slow but lots of torque!😜

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
For many years I've been using veterinary syringes. I buy them off Ebay for like 2 bucks apiece.
I just have my wife keep the reservoir full while I pull the fluid through the caliper and then finish up with a traditional squeeze and bleed. I suppose you could use them for the reverse method also. I use these syringes for all kinds of stuff.
Syringe 005.JPG

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Damn Les, that's a huge syringe 💉💉💉 you have there....

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,088 Posts
I’ve used a Vacula-type bleeder system for years, and it’s a godsend. Not only great for pulling brake fluid, you can also use it to suck oil out of the crankcase in case you overfill it, or set your fork oil level, using a stiff piece of tubing set to depth, etc.

They make them under several brand names, but it’s basically this:

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-...GJA2TH1W8Y1&psc=1&refRID=4XSS2YG4CGJA2TH1W8Y1

If you have a compressor, definitely consider something like this. If you don’t have a compressor... consider getting a compressor! 😉

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve used a Vacula-type bleeder system for years, and it’s a godsend.
Agreed. And again, a major difference from a vacuum bleeder compared to the old-school squeeze of brake lever is that you are "pulling" the fluid out instead of "pushing". You must grease the connections or you will see a ton of bubbles simply from the connections.
This video (set at about 6 minutes in) was very helpful showing use of grease. He is using non-compressor vacuum bleeder (hand pump) but the principal is the same.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe Vaseline also works well. I have speed bleeders which are a one way check valve on the nipple. Vaseline and MotionPros Check bleed system offer a solid and clean bleed.
@Screan29 i have never tried that method as I was always afraid that fluid would inevitably bleed out overnight but I always wondered if I could get a stronger bite. With the advent of the ABS fittings too it may be worthy

Reactions: E-Wolf

·
Registered
227 Posts
Look at how clean of a job this is

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think he moved on to a Triumph 675

They all do. I am looking at getting tools for DIY tire change(only ever done it once) and watch Ari Hennings Video. I feel like I will have a lot more curse words than him

Reactions: E-Wolf

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Brake fluid & bleeding went great with just my hand pump vac. Thanks MK3Brent for the tip about holding pressure on the lever overnight for firmer feel, did that with the front & rear and definitely noticed a difference the next day.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts