Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I’m new to the FZ09, picked up a 2014 and got in one ride before winter (until I noticed the front axle mount was cracked!) I’ve taken her down to the studs now. I’m going to post my progress here.

Valve adjustment, AIS delete, Ape cam tensioner and slipper clutch install are now completed.

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More progress today.
Installed new plugs (CPR9EAIX-9), rad flush, headlight with LED bulbs & Proton 500 signals (thanks to TripageLED for helping me with the programming). Stock bars back on complete with 2020 MT09 clutch cable (with the nice bend built into it), G2 ergos quickturn throttle tube and Koso Apollo heated grips.

Connected the tank for a test start and sounds great, so moving on!

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will love the Koso's, I have not regretted the purchase or installation for a minute.
Right on! I’m looking forward to them, the start and end of my riding season in Canada has always left me with frozen fingers. 🥶 I tested them out and they got damn warm on the highest setting.😈👍

·
Registered
759 Posts
I rarely use mine above the 3rd setting and I have been riding into the low 40's. At that temp, the wind has made the call on the 3rd or 4th setting. And at point, my feet are starting to get cold.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How did your “overhaul” the calipers? Did you get new piston seals or something? Also, I love your security bleeder 😂

always wanted to “overhaul” (rebuild my master cylinder but the bleed process for the system is such a PITA

Reactions: E-Wolf

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How did your “overhaul” the calipers? Did you get new piston seals or something? Also, I love your security bleeder 😂

always wanted to “overhaul” (rebuild my master cylinder but the bleed process for the system is such a PITA
I ordered the All Balls kits for the calipers and cylinder. (sledpartsguy on EBay) Took everything apart, cleaned and scrubbed all the brake dust off with cleaner and put them all back together. Kits come with everything... seals, new slide pins, boots/grommets, MC spring, sealing washers, bleeder caps...

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You're getting it done too quickly. There's going to be too much time to sit on it in the garage making braap braap sounds!

edit: looks great though!
Haha, yeah. Spring is a ways off but I have a busy January coming up so trying to get ahead of it now.

Edit: Plus I can’t seem to sit still when I have more parts I can wrench on! Almost started on the brakes today😜

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you use an air compressor to feed the fluid the front MC?

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you use an air compressor to feed the fluid the front MC?
Actually haven’t juiced up the system yet. Just mounted and torqued everything. I’ve heard people saying how hard it is to bleed new lines on this bike but I don’t see why my little hand pump brake vacuum won’t work. My plan is to hook it up to the right side caliper and pull the fluid through, then pump the brakes the old fashioned way to complete the left & right side individually.

Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Might be different for non-ABS but I used a hand pump and that will be the last time. I had a recycle bin under the hand pump because it literally squirted everywhere like a hooker on Valentine’s Day.
Air compressor keeps everything...prestine

Reactions: Screan29 and E-Wolf

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might be different for non-ABS but I used a hand pump and that will be the last time. I had a recycle bin under the hand pump because it literally squirted everywhere like a hooker on Valentine’s Day.
Air compressor keeps everything...prestine
🤣🤣🤣

thanks, I might try that

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another nice tip for getting a really good lever feel:
After you're satisfied you bled the brakes well, do one last strong pull on the lever and throw a ziptie around it to the handlebar. (Leave this over night with the reservoir open and covered from dust.)
The next day remove the ziptie and note how much firmer the lever is. :)

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another nice tip for getting a really good lever feel:
After you're satisfied you bled the brakes well, do one last strong pull on the lever and throw a ziptie around it to the handlebar. (Leave this over night with the reservoir open and covered from dust.)
The next day remove the ziptie and note how much firmer the lever is. :)
Thanks for the tip! I’ve never heard that before but I will definitely do it.

Edit: Now I’m trying to figure out why that works?……🤔

1 - 20 of 41 Posts