Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't get much, if any backfire.

If anything, just a barely noticeable burble in the muffler, but not enough to worry about.

This would cause me to wait for the Power commander to come in before lifting the tank

to block the air box to exhaust hose.

Bike runs quite well as-is.

With the slack out of the throttle cable and getting used to the bike I have no problem

with the twitchy throttle as some have mentioned on the net.

To me , it just feels like a bigger bike with much bottom end.

It's pretty much just a matter of getting used to it, like my RSV-4 Tuono. :cool:

The rear shock ain't all that bad and $ 90 bux gets heavier fork springs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
C. Dolan wrote:
The rear shock ain't all that bad ......
Are you serious? The rear shock is without a doubt a huge weakness in this bike, as are the front forks. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but so am I.....and the rear shock and front forks on this bike suck from the factory.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have to agree with triple on the suspension. It felt like a Honda Nighthawk 750. You could seat bounce it to get the front end to come off the ground. It waddled like my Honda Hurricane 1000 in the turns.

I have not ridden mine since I put the block off plates on, but I hope to ride Sunday and will update as soon as I do. I can't wait for a good flash of the ECM, I just want smooth on/off in tight twisties. I am used to it but I think that it can be improved. I would prefer to ride it in A mode all of the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The suspension is not great. I have limited seat time, but have upgraded the front springs, and oil to 10w.
I'll be doing a 7 day ride down in phoenix at the end of feb. and will get a better feel for it all then. We did pay an average of about $8500 for these bikes.
Can't have quality everything for that price.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I miss palomar!!!!!!!!!!! I have not been there in quite a while

Oh, and running with no block off plates is fine. It wont change performance. All it does is keep your air/fuel more consistent. You need that for tuning, so that you get good readings in the tail pipe for the tuner. It def is not a performance thing by itself. That is a misconception.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Are you running with or without the LINK insert?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The plates stop the popping backfiring on deceleration if anything, but should help a tad when going off/on throttle when cranking through the twisties because of improved fuel combustion, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
357 Posts
They block extra air from the airbox. The air enters the exhaust to provide oxygen to help combust any fuel remaining in the exhaust gas. This is needed in a system with a cat, because the unused fuel needs air to burn. When you remove the cat, you are no longer concerned with this. Also, the extra oxygen messes with tuning equipment that reads air/fuel ratios, the extra oxygen makes it think that the engine is lean and it adds unneeded fuel.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ais system. You can cap off the hose on the lh side of the air box too... same thing, not as pretty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks. I'm keeping the stock exhaust, intake etc, only power related change will be a Stoltec flash, so I don't need the plates.
Would the plates be worth anything with this setup?

·
Registered
357 Posts
No, in my opinion, anyone else please chime in, putting the plates on wont show any improvement in performance. It might change the sound a tiny, but thats all.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If it is popping lean on decal because of the air injected, does it not perform a bit smoother on the transition to partial throttle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts