Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raised the forks up a little bit, lowering the front end. I've dont this with most all of my bikes and always had positive results.

Gives it a little more aggressive stance. Better "turn in". Feels much more planted and stable in the corners. I am assuming because the weight transfer to the front as well as the new rake/trail.... Front felt really light to me before. Feels much better and even more responsive now.

20140716_200517.jpg 20140716_200559.jpg

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
All about how you want it to feel. Generally raising the forks in the triples (thus lowering the front end) will provide the ride characteristics you describe. Some like them, some don't. If you lower the front end too far you get less and less stable in the front end.

You can also raise the rear ride height by increasing the length of the shock (after market shocks are often length adjustable by about 10-15mm or so) instead of lowering the front end and you get similar results without losing as much ground clearance.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey JSP.

Ya that's a quick fix I did too at the beginning. Goes from a 6/10 to a 7.5/10. If you do springs and 10W oil it goes up to 8.5. The biggest issue with that bike is the rear shock. Total POS!!!

I know you need to hold on on modding has contract rules (LOL) But keep an eye out for a 2008-10 ZX-10 rear shock, or a ZX6RR (double R, can't remember the year... search) For few $$$ it will improve the rear end like you have no idea. The front end is not excellent but you can get away with it for now. Crank the preload to get your rider sag within 40mm or so and turn the reb all the way in for now. Look at my built thread to have an idea... But the rear to be honest, is fkn scary over bumps! A Zx-10 shock would be the best $100 you will ever spend on that bike. Nick as some Penskee that are top of the line for this bike too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch that oil pan drain bolt...
Yeah, I thought about that after seeing the cracked sump threads... I dont ride off of curbs or anything like that though. Strictly stays on the road.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey JSP.

Ya that's a quick fix I did too at the beginning. Goes from a 6/10 to a 7.5/10. If you do springs and 10W oil it goes up to 8.5. The biggest issue with that bike is the rear shock. Total POS!!!

I know you need to hold on on modding has contract rules (LOL) But keep an eye out for a 2008-10 ZX-10 rear shock, or a ZX6RR (double R, can't remember the year... search) For few $$$ it will improve the rear end like you have no idea. The front end is not excellent but you can get away with it for now. Crank the preload to get your rider sag within 40mm or so and turn the reb all the way in for now. Look at my built thread to have an idea... But the rear to be honest, is fkn scary over bumps! A Zx-10 shock would be the best $100 you will ever spend on that bike. Nick as some Penskee that are top of the line for this bike too.

Cheers.
Do you have to do any modifications to those retrofits or does it slip in there like a glove?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
When you raise the tubes in the clamps....the rule is never go more that 4mm at a time. A whole HALF INCH is pretty excessive.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You need to do 2 things.
1. Drill the hole on the ZX-10 shock (10 to 12mm) to use the FZ09 hardware, or buy/machine a bushing.

2. There's very minimal trimming of the plastic stray under the fuel tank. Like the first 1/2" or so where the first connector fit.

Easy mod. Just need to pull the seat, tank off and loosen up the plastic tray and lift it up a bit so the shock goes in n out. The bolt on the swingarm side is tight and a bit hard to access if you don't have the right tool but if you can spin some wrenches you will be fine. Many of us did the mod.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You need to do 2 things.
1. Drill the hole on the ZX-10 shock (10 to 12mm) to use the FZ09 hardware, or buy/machine a bushing.

2. There's very minimal trimming of the plastic stray under the fuel tank. Like the first 1/2" or so where the first connector fit.

Easy mod. Just need to pull the seat, tank off and loosen up the plastic tray and lift it up a bit so the shock goes in n out. The bolt on the swingarm side is tight and a bit hard to access if you don't have the right tool but if you can spin some wrenches you will be fine. Many of us did the mod.
Beautiful... I think i will utilize this mod... In conjunction with the gp cartridges im ordering from stoltec next week. Thanks marthy.

Kaiser

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ooh, while im picking your brain... Did you perform the puncture vent in the gas tank neck?.. If so, what did you use to do so without getting metal shavings in the fuel line?

Kaiser

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That's my setup as well. You will like it.

I'm 180 lbs no gear... 0.90kg/mm spring. The stock 9.1 kg/mm spring worked ok for me (ZX-10) but I went up to 9.4 kg/mm and its spot on for me. Check with Nick... He can get you the right ZX-10 spring too.

Bump adjuster fully open (CCW)

REB start 2 turn in from all open, I use 2.25T.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When you raise the tubes in the clamps....the rule is never go more that 4mm at a time. A whole HALF INCH is pretty excessive.
I didnt just drop it and go. I played with different measurements. This is where I settled. Like I have said, I've done it to my last 4 bikes. Not my first go-around. One being an 09 R6. And yes, on that one... Very little rise made a big difference. Bikes like the bandit, FZ6R, FZ8, FZ09 do not have as an extreme rake/trail. There is a little more room to play on these bikes. On the FZ6R when I had Hyperpro suspension on it, they even recommended dropping it about 10mm or so I think it was. I am around 11-12 mm right now. Straight line stability feels great, no negative impact at all. And cornering is much more positive/stable.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ooh, while im picking your brain... Did you perform the puncture vent in the gas tank neck?.. If so, what did you use to do so without getting metal shavings in the fuel line?

Kaiser
Use a pointed punch, no shavings to worry about.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I raised my forks in the clamps about 4 to 5mm.

Now it feels like it has power steering. An extension of my soul. Just think and it goes.

Before when doing quick transitions it would feel like I had a hump to get over as the bike approached vertical.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What is the total measure (height of the fork over the triple tree) in mm after the drop and what is the bolt torque specs of the fork bolts?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dropped mine 8mm when I installed the traxxion cartridges. I am happy with them there. Stability still good hands off at 60 over bumps no problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
appologies for my ignorance here, but how do I drop the front end? What tools are required? I'm not a suspension expert by any means, but I do know how to spin a wrench. I'm willing to give this a shot if so many others report improvement on turn in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
since there hasnt been an update, I had a closer look at my bike and i'm guessing all thats required is loosening the 4 bolts per each side and pushing down on the triple tree.
How far off am I :p?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
since there hasnt been an update, I had a closer look at my bike and i'm guessing all thats required is loosening the 4 bolts per each side and pushing down on the triple tree.
How far off am I :p?
Thats pretty much it...but be careful and only go down a tiny bit at a time...small changes have a big impact on handling

1 - 20 of 48 Posts