Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went the DIY tail tidy route, and love it! That is until I got caught in the rain. The rain seems to come off the back tire and hit me right above the back pockets on my jeans. So what I plan on doing is fabbing up a piece of aluminum that will bolt to the holes on the plate and provide protection on days where the chance of rain is iffy. My question is how far down and how wide should it be made. Has anyone else attempted anything like this???

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I doubt that hugger extension will help. I think it is water that flung off the tire before it gets that far forward.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Its not what you are asking, but I would seriously consider switching out your jeans for proper protective motorcycling pants. They could literally save your ass

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had my bride on the back in the rain and the samething happened to her, I still have the stock fender, but at least she kept the water off me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have some Kydex lying around that I use to make custom holsters. I am working on a small mud flap type of thing that will attach behind the license plate and hopefully keep the rain at bay.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Down here in Houston, all the dealers install an aluminum extension piece below the tag for display of the inspection sticker. It must be somewhat effective as water doesn't get on me but does get onto the seat. That extension is about 3". On my 6R, I trimmed it back to 2" and my seat gets dirtier on that bike. That was probably a mistake. Both bikes have the fender eliminator. Incidentally, most of the water comes from automatic sprinkler systems. I hate those things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok so I went the DIY tail tidy route, and love it! That is until I got caught in the rain. The rain seems to come off the back tire and hit me right above the back pockets on my jeans. So what I plan on doing is fabbing up a piece of aluminum that will bolt to the holes on the plate and provide protection on days where the chance of rain is iffy. My question is how far down and how wide should it be made. Has anyone else attempted anything like this???
I commuted today around 4pm from New London, CT. Chances are we got caught in the same rainstorm. The STOCK fender/tail wasn't any better at keeping rain off me. My man parts and butt we're sitting in a puddle. Granted I was in the storm for the better part of 30mins, if you get caught in rain without rain gear, you're probably going to be wet. I know I was...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I commuted today around 4pm from New London, CT. Chances are we got caught in the same rainstorm. The STOCK fender/tail wasn't any better at keeping rain off me. My man parts and butt we're sitting in a puddle. Granted I was in the storm for the better part of 30mins, if you get caught in rain without rain gear, you're probably going to be wet. I know I was...
Ditto. The one shower I road thru WITH the stock fender left my ahems wet. Plus, the stock seat seems to have just the right slope to get you front and back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went through the mud on mine and got mud from the top of my head down, and it covered the back of the seat to the strap... then I though... hmmm maybe that stock fender wasn't so ugly after all. lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Put the bike on the rearstand and schift in first gear. Let the wheel turn and spray water on the tire.
You will see that it is the tire that sprays the water verticaly and on your back. An extension of the licenseplate is the only solution i think.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts