Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to replace my radiator since a deer headbutted it at 75mph on the highway. Just curious to see where can i get the best price for one? So far lowest ive found is about $245. Also curious to see if they even make aftermarket radiators for the FZ. ANywho i was able to keep control and am extremely lucky only damage is cracked radiator and missing airscoop. I am ok, FZ to the rescue.
IMAG0351.jpg IMAG0352.jpg IMAG0353.jpg IMAG0354.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Glad you're alright. Deer are in the lead statistics on animal vs human fatalities.. Little bastards, they are...

I'm not an exhaust guy, but I started shopping for one after almost hitting two female deer last month. They were on the shoulder of the lane to my left, they saw me and ran right in front of my path.. instead of into the damn bushes where they were standing..

No advice on the RAD, sorry.

·
Registered
610 Posts
IMG_0394.jpg Don't get me started on deer. I had my run in alittle over 2 years ago. Brand new 2011 R1, the deer ran out in front of me at 420am on way to work. Never even had time to react. 2 fractured vertibra, broken left arm, shattered 3 fingers on left hand that are now useless, dislocated shoulder. Yet here I am back riding again. Deer season should be year round !! Sorry I can't help with the Rad. question. 100_1249.jpg

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I hate to say it, but you might find a slightly used rad on ebay for cheap. There seems to be more and more "wrecked" 09 parts showing up on there. I think it might have to do with the short life span of certain species of Land Squids???

squid1.jpg

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you are going to go for a new rad, you might be able to do a temporary fix until you can find a new rad.

Back in the dirt biking days a friends son busted the fill neck clean off the rad of his YZ250. Back then it was big bucks for a new rad, so they tried some J-B Weld to re-attach the fill neck back onto the rad. It works great and lasted for years after they fixed it.

HighHeat Epoxy Putty | J-B Weld

Just a thought, unless you know of a good radiator repair place that can fix it.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Banned
486 Posts
i lowsided awhile back, got everything fixed, rim, tire and brake pedal

but my radiator cap leaks when the temps get to 210 and up
also filles the coolant expansion tank up too
i noticed the filer neck is bent where the cap seals, any way to fix short of replacing a 260 dollar radiator?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try searching for Meylers Radiator in Utah or just Google "motorcycle radiator repair" and they should come up. I've had them repair and reinforce a couple of radiators for dirt bikes and my ZRX1100. They do great work, are reasonably priced and have quick turn around.

Glad you are OK. Hitting a critter that big can turn out a lot worse.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a tear/puncture in my HyperMotard rad tank the size of a quarter, used a portion of a bar type epoxy (like jb weld) that said it was good for radiator repairs, found at Walmart for like $4. Used a dremmel tool to take the paint off the area to be repaired, and made some good scratches (like this #) for the epoxy to grab onto, worked great, rode the bike for around 1,000 miles before I found an Ebay replacement rad (dealers wanted $620.00 plus tax). Would have just run it with the epoxy, except my radiator was twisted, and a few of the very fine tubes that carry the coolant were bent in an L shape and I was concerned that over time they would crack from vibration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts