Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that more people have not been alarmed at the ease with which the radiator could be damaged. Even a minor miscue, harming little, might result in not being able to ride the bike away. This is one of the few areas where the good folks at Yamaha, in order to keep the price of admission low, paid strict attention to the bean counters.
Comments?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Greg, are you talking about a side tip over or debris being thrown up from the road?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Primarily a tipover would be a more likely threat, Triple (like that play on words?) At least, that was my first thought. The radiator cap and filler tube just look SO vulnerable.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I haven't seen an 09 in person yet, won't the tip over radiator issue mostly be taken care of with frame sliders?

About the guards that some riders put on the side edges of the radiators, they might protect from abrasion, but they will contact the ground sooner/harder so the radiator is more likely to be bent/twisted.

I'll get frame sliders (haven't picked a brand yet) but plan on doing nothing for the radiator directly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may be right, Bob, but sliders sometimes snap off, so an engine protector/slider, similar to the one in the Yamaha accessories catalog that is bolted in two places would probably be preferred-but it's ugly.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I've got a set of the R&G sliders coming...the front mount model.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Same for me. I felt that the front sliders would give better radiator protection. If they snap off, chances are that the radiator is the least of my problems.
Doug, you and I are thinking the exact same way on that point.......rad would be the least of my worries then.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I have a guard on order from R&G racing. Twisted Throttle, a supporting vendor, is a distributor

Wrong forum, actually. But R&G makes good products.

But to answer the question, the frame/engine protection is what you're after. The radiator vulnerability certainly is a concern for most riders. One tip over could easily leave you stranded and out a few hundred bucks (more than a set of good sliders). I've got plenty of pictures to share on why engine sliders or crash bars are a great idea...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts