Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I picked up my bike today and rode it home about 110 miles through mountain roads transitioning speeds under 5600rpm. When I got home I noticed white residue on my radiator (see pic) and a little hardened residue from heat on the radiator cap center. No over heating indicator or radiator smell; all seems fine, but I am curious if something is up. I brought it by my local Yamaha and he thought it may be something from the factory because he said it shouldn't have leaked since there's an overflow. Since there's some white hardened coolant residue on the radiator cap AND the same in the shown spots on the radiator, but it's running fine.. I'm lost. Does everyone who buys a new FZ09 have white crap on there nice black radiator? Lol. The guy at my local Yamaha said that after it cools off to stand it up and see if the overflow is slightly above the LOW line. Anybody else have any ideas?

Radiator Grille Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have exactly the same thing, not as severe as your picture shows, but it's definitely there. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and I don't even think it's leaking from the radiator. Tried cleaning it off, and there's no way I can remove it. Anybody else had this, and any clue what it is?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would guess that you have a coolant leak. That's what coolant looks like when it finally dries, I've busted a radiator or two on old trucks and "rock crawlers". I'd go back to the dealer and have them fix the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My brother told me that the silver center of the radiator cap has a spring on the back side for over pressure. I think there's nothing wrong, it's just a pressure built up due to being new and the cap released the pressure like my brother said. However, I think I might ask for another radiator since a brand new bike shouldn't have white shit all over it. I need to ask Yamaha if it falls under Warranty. I did have the recall fixed and the bike was new when I brought it home and they had just repaired the recall. Related? If the oil cooler had a crack wouldn't the bike overheat or show a oil leak somewhere dripping? Markjanemhan... Did you have the recall fixed or do you have a 2014?

·
Registered
246 Posts
The best way to see if it's leaking is to start the bike and let it run. Watch your engine temperature while the bike runs to make sure the bike doesn't overheat. I doubt you'll see any cracks, but look for any moisture on your radiator after the fan cycles a few times. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just started it and let it sit until the fan ran through 3 cycles. Coolant temp doesn't get above 219 and no leaks on the radiator. Dealership sucks; there was 50psi in both my tires. I need to get a service manual and make sure every bolt is torqued to specs! Lmao

·
Registered
81 Posts
Markjanemhan... Did you have the recall fixed or do you have a 2014?
Mine is a 2015, but my VIN was not in the recall range. Regarding this radiator issue, I'm going to take it up with the dealership and try and get a replacement under warranty. Worth a shot. If it would clean off easily, I wouldn't mind, because there doesn't appear to be a leak at all. But it looks unsightly. Probably down to the dumbasses at the dealership spilling coolant when they were doing the pre-delivery. That said, on my rad, it's mostly down the left side (opposite side to the radiator cap) so if they spilled it, it wouldn't be in that area. I'm baffled!

Radiator Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same staining on my new 2015 but I'm not worried about it. It looks & feels like a waxy residue, not a break or leak and it's no where near the radiator cap. I bet with multiple heat cycles it will burn off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same staining on my new 2015 but I'm not worried about it. It looks & feels like a waxy residue, not a break or leak and it's no where near the radiator cap. I bet with multiple heat cycles it will burn off.
I've been hoping that it might fade or wash off when I clean the bike, but so far it's going nowhere - and that's after a couple of months

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had another look today and i believe its lithium grease. No idea why the manufacturer put it there? Let us know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok.. Update. I've used my garden hose and sprayed the radiator off two times now and it's almost gone. Just one spot I missed at the bottom about the size of a quarter left. I think with a couple more rinses it will be good. I just wait until the bike is completely cold before rinsing it (obviously). About to head out to the garage and install the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator! Thx for the info guys.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I remember there was a little bit of the same white film on my rad when I picked up my 09 last August. Since the bike comes crated with the forks already installed, I wonder if it is a case of too much assembly grease on the steering stem bearings which dripped down onto the radiator???

It wouldn't take much that could be missed during assembly. But then when the bike is ran up to temperature, the grease melts and makes this mess on the rad. I also checked the service manual and it is Lithium soap based grease, for the steering head bearings.

Bike in crate, forks already installed.

Machine Vehicle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since the bike comes crated with the forks already installed, I wonder if it is a case of too much assembly grease on the steering stem bearings which dripped down onto the radiator???
Interesting theory. Could be, although mine was at the very far left of the radiator, not in the middle as I would expect if it was coming from the steering stem. Originally, I did think it was lithium grease, but it seemed to dry and become more of a chalky texture, so figured it was coolant that had dried right out. Anyway, I attacked it with a toothbrush and solution of hot water with dish soap, and worked the bristles into the radiator fins very gently (those things are REALLY easy to bend) then rinsed with a spray bottle. Didn't want to point a garden hose at it, with the fan seated right at the back of the rad. It has cleaned it up quite a bit, but still a little residue so I'll repeat the process.

Then, I'll watch it to make sure it doesn't return - in case it actually IS a leaking radiator! But I doubt it - never noticed any moisture and my coolant level is where it should be.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Interesting theory. Could be, although mine was at the very far left of the radiator, not in the middle as I would expect if it was coming from the steering stem. Originally, I did think it was lithium grease, but it seemed to dry and become more of a chalky texture, so figured it was coolant that had dried right out. Anyway, I attacked it with a toothbrush and solution of hot water with dish soap, and worked the bristles into the radiator fins very gently (those things are REALLY easy to bend) then rinsed with a spray bottle. Didn't want to point a garden hose at it, with the fan seated right at the back of the rad. It has cleaned it up quite a bit, but still a little residue so I'll repeat the process.

Then, I'll watch it to make sure it doesn't return - in case it actually IS a leaking radiator! But I doubt it - never noticed any moisture and my coolant level is where it should be.
Unless they were really sloppy with the Lithium grease when it was put together at the factory???

I do have a small bottom of the blue YamaCool at home. Picked up a small bottle when I got my bike, just in case I do need to top it off.

I'll have to poor a little into a plastic cap and let it evaporate and see what colour the left over residue is? I would suspect the blue die would leave behind a blue coloured film.

Reactions: abe57
1 - 20 of 38 Posts