Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious how much heat comes off the radiator?

On a warm day (85 or hotter) my FZ1 would cook my legs.

It was most noticeable on long up hill run. A couple of times I actually looked down thinking something was on fire.

Is this an issue with the FZ09?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Heck of a question to ask when it's 12 degrees F outside. I have definitely felt the warmth from the engine at a stop, but haven't yet had the privilege of riding at 85 or hotter. Interestingly, a 55 degree F day once suddenly become an 80 degree day at a red light soon after purchasing my FZ-09 until I realized the heat was rising up past the LCD displaying the air temperature.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lol. Idk if you watch the weather, but the next 85 degree day. I will definitely let you know, in May.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've ridden mine in 80 degree weather here in California. The heat didn't seem too bad, maybe because there's no bodywork to trap it. It feels like at a stop, the heat rises from the radiator and mostly misses you legs and body.

I feel bad about your cold weather guys. I might have to go riding just to cheer myself up!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Haven't noticed anything from the radiator or even the cylinders - but if I brush the cases when I put my foot down then they are pretty warm. I didn't have the bike in September when we always have 110+ days - so ask me again next year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yammy R1/R6 are known crotch/leg cookers in city traffic in my area.

I wont be surprised if the same thing happens on the FZ09

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's a motorcycle...what do you expect! You have thousands of mini explosions going on between your legs. It's like sex with fire and hot metal! :) it's not bad I only notice radiator heat when the fan turns on and blows it around.

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't remember any particularly hot riding days yet with the FZ, but I have seen the radiator temp at 225 with the fan on. It isn't that bad. The 1100G kicks out more heat as it gets lower mpg (more heat per mile).
I'll let you know when it warms up properly here, say May or june

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't remember any particularly hot riding days yet with the FZ, but I have seen the radiator temp at 225 with the fan on. It isn't that bad. The 1100G kicks out more heat as it gets lower mpg (more heat per mile).
I'll let you know when it warms up properly here, say May or june
Should pick mine up is a couple of weeks so the question is somewhat academic. I was just curious.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My bike got up to 225 for a second as the fans kicked on. I didn't feel like it was cooking me. It seems to run around 185 on the freeway. The 225 degree incident was shocking but the dealer said it's normal. This bike has a fully exposed radiator with no fairing or shroud so I don't understand that high heat. I had just come off the freeway at 75 MPH then hit stop and go traffic lights.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Even in cars, I have a snap on scan tool hooked up to, the fans will kick on at or around 225. That's no big deal, start to worry over 250. Then it's starting to cook. My fz6 would kick on around 220 ish but that's in 105 degree heat. Regardless of how cold it is outside, anything that sits with no real airflow flowing through it will get hot. Hence why you have a fan :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts