Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a perforated aluminum sheet from Lowes for $26 with enough material to make 4 covers.
It was pretty easy because it is a flat area and there is a 1/4" lip on both sides that you can tuck it under.
I secured it in 4 places with .020" safety wire.
I feel better now about riding thru bugs as it was a pain to pluck all the bugs out with a pick,to say nothing of rocks and pebbles.Also it was very easy to bend those cooling fins.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not forsee an airflow problem but I will monitor with the digital temp gauge as I had a rough idea without the guard.
If,for instance,40 mph in the wind before the guard is now equal to 30 mph in the wind with the guard
I still dont see a problem.The only area possibly would be in slow going city traffic.
All radiator guards are slightly restrictive but I think it would have to be a major blockage in order for a problem.
But I'm glad you asked and will monitor.Maybe its good we're coming into winter and not summer:eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EvoTech Radiator guard
So I had a homemade one but I kinda liked the wrap-around brackets and thought what the heck.
All I can say is they nailed it with a quality, protective and bling worthy cover.
The thing about the radiator is it just sticks out there and is kinda unfinished from Yamaha as is a few other spots on the bike.
So this cleans up a otherwise ugly spot and you got protection to boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
EvoTech Radiator guard
So I had a homemade one but I kinda liked the wrap-around brackets and thought what the heck.
All I can say is they nailed it with a quality, protective and bling worthy cover.
The thing about the radiator is it just sticks out there and is kinda unfinished from Yamaha as is a few other spots on the bike.
So this cleans up a otherwise ugly spot and you got protection to boot.
Purchase link?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought mine off Ebay for $111 shipped.Sounds pricey but the side brackets are beautifully finished.
The distributor is out of Florida so you get it fast and not getting killed on shipping because it is a European product.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Looking for any recommendations/experience with good quality radiator guard. I narrowed my search to the Evotech or the R&G, and can't really tell from the posted pictures if the way they mount will allow them to rattle against the radiator from engine vibration-which I don't want. If anyone could post their experiences, good or bad, with either one, I'd be most appreciative. Cost is not really an issue for me, just looking for a high quality guard with solid protective abilities. Mahalo....

·
Registered
196 Posts
R&G guard here. No rattle as it comes with foam strips to sit between the guard and the radiator. Love the all black look, as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
R&G guard here. No rattle as it comes with foam strips to sit between the guard and the radiator. Love the all black look, as well.
+1 I installed the R&G also and it fits really nice - totally solid when mounted correctly using supplied foam.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That Lowe's trick is ingenious and the EvoTech is super nice.

I wonder what's the best way to protect the radiator cap?

I thought about some type of slider/bumper on the top right side bolt of the radiator. But then the radiator takes the damage. And not sure if that bolt is even strong enough for the job.

Not sure if there's a frame slider that keeps the radiator cap from hitting the ground.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That Lowe's trick is ingenious and the EvoTech is super nice.

I wonder what's the best way to protect the radiator cap?

I thought about some type of slider/bumper on the top right side bolt of the radiator. But then the radiator takes the damage. And not sure if that bolt is even strong enough for the job.

Not sure if there's a frame slider that keeps the radiator cap from hitting the ground.
I installed 3" Trex frame slider in the engine mount bolt closest to the radiator cap and that will keep the radiator cap off the ground.

I also installed the Ermax radiator side covers that cover up the ends of the radiator and the radiator cap.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I installed 3" Trex frame slider in the engine mount bolt closest to the radiator cap and that will keep the radiator cap off the ground.

I also installed the Ermax radiator side covers that cover up the ends of the radiator and the radiator cap.
Do you have a radiator guard as well?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm considering sand blasting this and tacking channels on either side with mounting clips... I was also considering mat blk powder coat and a blurple roman numeral III on it to represent the triple cylinders... I am worried about not matching the wheels well though so that last bit may be wishful thinking
image.jpg

·
Registered
292 Posts
Went with the R&G rad guard. Installation was pretty easy and works/looks really good. Would recommend it to others!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts