Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not a brake expert, I did fit a race style Nissin master cylinder to my SV650 years ago but this is my first radial. If I say something wrong or need to add info let me know and I’ll edit my posts. If you have experience with putting a radial master cylinder on your 09 please post it.

I did some messy thrashing around picking a radial master cylinder for my 09, in the end I went for a R1 MC. After market levers are generally sold in pairs (like Mad Hornets), I wanted to try shorties, and the R1/R6 clutch levers are compatible with the 09.

I’m not great at finding/picking used stuff, an eBay search for R1/R6 master cylinders found lots of items but it seemed to me they were overpriced for the condition and degree of completeness.

PartShark.com - R6 master cylinder
The discount price for a new R6 master cylinder without a reservoir, lever, brackets etc is $157.39.

PartShark.com - R1 master cylinder
The same thing for the R1 is $83.87. Wow! They look the same in the parts diagram and I can’t believe the R6 uses a master cylinder that much better than the one for the R1. They use different levers but Nick of Stoltec spotted that they use the same piston rebuild kit, so the bore size is the same, 16mm. My guess is the Yamaha bean counters have trouble being consistent and logical in setting parts prices. So from Partshark.com I ordered a R1 MC and the lever pivot bolt. I didn’t add up all the costs of getting every new Yamaha part from the lever to reservoir cap, wouldn’t be cheap. Some odds and ends I already had, or made, ordered Mad Hornet levers and a cheap generic reservoir assembly.

Mad Hornets Yamaha levers
This link is good for figuring out lever compatibility. The Mad Hornet levers for a stock MT/FZ 09 are a F16 front brake and an Y688 clutch. Lots of Yamahas use the Y688 clutch lever, find a bike that has a master cylinder you want and that uses that clutch lever and you can order pairs of levers.

You can see that the 2005-2014 R6 uses the same brake lever as the 2004-2008 R1, but I don't know if there were other differences in the master cylinders.

In this post Nick of Stoltec has info and photos for his 2005-2014 R6 master cylinder install.
http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...ject-bike-gonna-long-thread-19.html#post63296
In this post Nick reviews the R6 MC during his first track day with it:
http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...ject-bike-gonna-long-thread-20.html#post66595

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Parts list

I have ordered from PartShark.com several times and like them, you can use your preferred Yamaha parts source, I’ll use their link for the parts diagram etc.
R1 master cylinder parts

Part #3 is the master cylinder sub assembly, the heart of it. In my opinion the other part to order new from Yamaha is #8, the lever pivot bolt, not likely one from another master will fit. #9 is the lock nut for the lever bolt, it is a generic 6mm nut except it has a black finish and is self-locking. You can use the one from your 09 MC. Or from a hardware store I’d use a stainless steel Nylock, but it won’t be black.

Lever #10, I’d suggest going after market like the Mad Hornets in my previous post.

#11 is the brake light switch, good news, you can use the one from your 09 MC along with parts #12-14. These seem fairly generic, the switch from Nissin brakes (owned by Honda and also used on Suzuki etc) will work, too bad more bike parts aren’t like that.

#26 and the 2 bolts #27 you can use from your 09 parts, but read below about mirrors.

Brake fluid reservoir:
Parts #15 - #22 in the diagram, there’s a bunch of ways you can go for these. Discount price for the new Yamaha parts is $42.76. You can try used (they are fairly generic from other bikes and brands) or after market, there are fancy billet anodized ones etc. I wanted low profile and inexpensive so I installed this one but haven’t ridden with it yet:
Brake Reservoir Front Fluid Bottle | eBay
That reservoir is cheaply made, I did things like sand the upper edge of the cup smooth where it needs to seal with the diaphragm, but I think it will work. I’m not trying to black out all of my Red 09, but the bar area will be mostly black and I really don’t like the color of the plastic reservoirs so I used black Plasti Dip spray on it. First time using PlastiDip, hmm, I won’t say it is show quality but it’s good enough for who it’s for.

You will need a way to mount the reservoir, again a lot of ways of doing this, I made my own bracket (will add photos later). Here is an option, it is what Nick used: www.woodcraft-cfm.com - UniversalReservoirMountBracket

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mirrors with a radial master cylinder

The right hand mirror mount is part of the 09 master cylinder, it won’t be part of the R1/R6 master, so you need to come up with a solution.

One option is bar end mirrors, once you go that way it really isn’t a brake issue any more so please discuss bar end mirrors in other threads.

I like the stock mirrors, for one thing they are closer to my line of sight. Instead of part #26 (or the same piece from your 09) you can find the same thing that includes a mirror mount. But the right hand 09 mirror mount uses reverse (left handed) threads, as indicated by the little grove in the lock nut. And a left hand mirror mount is harder to find. (I will add more about this later.) If you know of a good source please post it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any more infos on this? I'd like to put a gsx-r 11/16 mc on my mt, but still don't know how to mount the r/h mirror...there are bar mounts available, but most have right threads, and with an adapter the right mirror would be 1 cm higher, which i like to avoid..any ideas on this?

//EDIT: found the solution for the mirror here

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
^ +1 I have an R6 radial cylinder but want to keep the stock mirrors also. Any solutions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want a PR16 to keep the original mirror you can take de Nissin model from Street Triple R. (or daytona)
It's easy to find a use one.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The solution is to buy a left side mirror and then swap the top mirror section on to it.
There is no mirror mount on the R6 radial M/C for the mirror stem to screw into.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Right sorry also go on ebay and order the back to a clutch lever perch that had one, for another yamaha with the same bar diameter. I'm getting ready to do this myself and will post up exactly what I get when I do it. A track day instructor I know did exactly this on his fz-09 and it looks fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
1962siia88, there is no mirror mount on the R6 radial M/C for the mirror stem to screw into.

olivierZX, unfortunately I already have the R6 radial M/C from another project.

Fichtenelch, this looks like the way to go.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
^ Got it. Sometimes the internet is clear as mud.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did anyone fit an 11/16 MC already? Any inputs on this? Still thinking about fitting a brembo or braking 19-20mm or nissin 11/16 from gsx-r.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did anyone fit an 11/16 MC already? Any inputs on this? Still thinking about fitting a brembo or braking 19-20mm or nissin 11/16 from gsx-r.
I've got a Brembo RCS19 in my parts bin with matching clutch lever. I'm going to try and find some time to put it and my braided lines on the bike this weekend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm making sure before I order. For the r1 you can use the 07/08 brake master cylinder and the clutch levers will swap for that year r1 too. Then it' 06-14 r6 brake master cylinder and the Clutch lever from that year will swap over?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts