Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to all this. I purchased the T-Rex frame slider set and the Evotech radiator guard.

The T-Rex sliders indicate you should use thread locker on all the bolts. I wanted to confirm that the engine case covers (stator and clutch) should also receive thread locker as they go into the engine where it sounds like oil will come out during the installation. It doesn't sound like a good idea to put thread lock there, is it?

Also, while we're talking about thread lock, should I put it on the bolts of the radiator guard?

Finally, where can I find torque ratings for these add-ons? The radiator guard does not mention what to torque the bolts down to. The T-Rex sliders give general guidelines, but I'd like to be confident in the torques I use on the engine covers as well as the front and rear axle sliders. I'd normally not touch the axles and don't want the wheels coming off! Can anyone point me to where I can find this info. or share it with me if you already have it, please?

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have t-rex sliders, but I mounted my frame sliders on the bolt right by the rad, torqued it to 33ft-lbs, and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have OES sliders and the Evotech rad guard. The OES sliders (which are a different design than the t-rex so YMMV) do not say to use thread locker, only to grease the bolts and torque to 30-35 ft/lbs. and the bolts have not attempted to back out after hundreds of miles of riding. For the Evotech rad guard, if there was a specific torque rating it would likely be in inch/lbs rather than foot/lbs because you easily strip or break something if you tighten the bolts too much. I installed mine by feel, tight plus another nudge of the wrench, and I have checked the bolts several times and they are fine. I can't speak to the engine case covers or rear axle sliders as I don't have them, but for my OES front axle sliders there are no worries of a wheel coming off because they are installed by simply passing a threaded rod through the existing hole in the middle of the axle. For the rear, I only have spools, which installed easily with a bit of blue loctite.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just put on the evotech rad guard. For the rad mount I just tightened then a bit more. For the little machine screws holding the screen to the supports I used a dab a blue loctitie.
I also used a blue loctite on my woodcraft frame sliders. So far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts