Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive never owned a racing stand. I want to get one and seeing as how I have spools on the rear, it seems even more logical now. Can anyone recommend a good but fair priced one? They all seem the same to me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I found an inexpensive, high-quality stand at my local bike shop. It was $100 marked 50% off… So $50. It's a pitbull replica. Works great. Very sturdy. Don't pay pitbull prices (unless you're actually using the stand daily like a racer).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mj Moto Gear stands. Best bang for your buck at $110 for the set. Been using mine for over 3 years, no issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I found an inexpensive, high-quality stand at my local bike shop. It was $100 marked 50% off… So $50. It's a pitbull replica. Works great. Very sturdy. Don't pay pitbull prices (unless you're actually using the stand daily like a racer).
Here, fixed that for ya.... "Don't pay pitbull prices (unless you're wanting the stands to last the rest of your life!)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here, fixed that for ya.... "Don't pay pitbull prices (unless you're wanting the stands to last the rest of your life!)
Haha...I don't know why people get hard-ons for specific brands. My HJC helmet is twice as good as my old Shoei and 1/3 the price. My "cheap" stand is just as sturdy as my buddy's Pitbull. I wouldn't buy a Rolex over a nice Seiko or by an American made car/motorcycle over a quality metric. Paying more for less (or similar) quality isn't my thing. Oh well, I won't change any minds out there... Enjoy the big names and big prices. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I probably should have put a smiley in my reply, so that you didn't think I was only set on Pit Bull. I actually own a set of Vortex stands that I bought years ago also. I do believe in buying very good quality tools etc and with paddock stands, I use them a lot, not just casually. I'm at the track roughly 18 days a year, and do a lot of my own repairs and all of my tire changes, so the stands get a lot of use. In fact, I have three Pit Bull front stands and two of the rear stands in addition to the Vortex set.

My Dad told me when I was just a young man (many years ago), buy the very best tools that you can afford if you are going to be using them a lot or for your trade (I became a Journeyman Electrician) and I've pretty much followed that Mantra. Tools that only get occasional use probably aren't as high on my priority as far as top quality.......depending on replacement cost.

A really good example is when I was 17 years old, I bought a set of 5 Snap On Philips bit screwdrivers.....and paid $15 for the set. At that time, I was making $2/hour, so I had almost a day's wages in that set of screwdrivers. I still have them today and they are still in great condition.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably should have put a smiley in my reply, so that you didn't think I was only set on Pit Bull. I actually own a set of Vortex stands that I bought years ago also. I do believe in buying very good quality tools etc and with paddock stands, I use them a lot, not just casually. I'm at the track roughly 18 days a year, and do a lot of my own repairs and all of my tire changes, so the stands get a lot of use. In fact, I have three Pit Bull front stands and two of the rear stands in addition to the Vortex set.

My Dad told me when I was just a young man (many years ago), buy the very best tools that you can afford if you are going to be using them a lot or for your trade (I became a Journeyman Electrician) and I've pretty much followed that Mantra. Tools that only get occasional use probably aren't as high on my priority as far as top quality.......depending on replacement cost.

A really good example is when I was 17 years old, I bought a set of 5 Snap On Philips bit screwdrivers.....and paid $15 for the set. At that time, I was making $2/hour, so I had almost a day's wages in that set of screwdrivers. I still have them today and they are still in great condition.
Off topic but I dont think I could buy one thing off the snap on truck for 15 dollars today lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
Haha...I don't know why people get hard-ons for specific brands. My HJC helmet is twice as good as my old Shoei and 1/3 the price. My "cheap" stand is just as sturdy as my buddy's Pitbull. I wouldn't buy a Rolex over a nice Seiko or by an American made car/motorcycle over a quality metric. Paying more for less (or similar) quality isn't my thing. Oh well, I won't change any minds out there... Enjoy the big names and big prices. :)
I like that - It why I just bought a corolla as ford and mazda priced themselves out of the market. Can't quite make the leap to Korea yet... perhaps if they put the WRX motor in the BRZ??

(& for the OP post)
I bought a cheap $40 stand at cycle gear. Had to modify it with a hacksaw, but it works and it gets the bike up so I can use the wooden centerstand I made, if I need to do more than just lube the chain. Have a look around, there are picture how too's somewhere

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I got a set of cheap stands offline for $50 and they work but aren't very sturdy, luckily the 09 is light. When we got my wife her ninja 1000 I wanted something more sturdy and luckily cycle gear has these speed metal stands on sale and they work excellently! Very solid and good design. I plan on getting a pitbul front when the time comes but the rear is excellent.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just purchased these, haven't received them yet. I currently have a set from harbor freight that worked ok on my 6R but the rear isn't made for spools and it didn't look like they had an add on part I could purchase so I purchased the Venoms.
I just ordered this job from HF Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand for $30 w/ coupon. Hopefully it works out alright for me. Coupon code is 76337439 if anyone else enjoys the adventure which is owning Harbor Freight equipment. Reviews on this are good though :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Pitt bull is the best that I have seen. Has no flex like some of the cheaper ones. You can use it with or without spools by raising under the swing arm. I got a discount at cycle gear. $150

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just purchased these, haven't received them yet. I currently have a set from harbor freight that worked ok on my 6R but the rear isn't made for spools and it didn't look like they had an add on part I could purchase so I purchased the Venoms.
Post back when you receive them; I'm curious what the quality is like!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up going with the Pitbull. I know the FZ is light but I dont want a stand with a 1% chance of flexing and snapping and dropping my bike. I only got the rear though. Itll be a while before I need to do anything major in the front. Just want it for oil changes and chain lube for now.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You sir, will never regret buying a Pit Bull stand for your bike.

Reactions: bmahan and Yoyodyne
1 - 20 of 41 Posts