Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a nice package today from UPS!

I don't have much to say just yet as it is well below freezing and I won't be able to give a ride report for another month or so but, I have used Racetech in the past and can vouch for their quality and service. I sent them my forks mid December so that they could do a bit of R&D to come up with springs and valving options for stock fork upgrade. Below is a bit of information for those interested in talking with the guys and gals at Racetech (I have omitted prices as I believe it would be best to contact them directly).

Fork Springs:
Part Number: FRSP S3534095
Details: 34.7x340mm 0.95kg

Gold Valves:
Part Number: FMGV S2050C
Details: Sport / Road Race

Fork Oil: 5WT

*Please Note: Spring and fork oil weight were selected based on my riding weight, style, passenger, etc...; and may not be suited for your own needs.

I will be sure to follow-up with more installation photos as I progress and I promise to have a full ride report as soon as the weather allows.

Now; for the surprise ;)

I may, just may have splurged and had them anodize them forks to the color that they should have been from the beginning...Black!! :):):)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow they look great black for sure, I agree they should have come in that color from the factory. If you do not mind me asking what do you weigh with gear?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow Skooter, they look sharp! Can you say how much the anodizing cost? Though they had the forks disassembled anyway, so cheaper than if you were only having anodizing done.

For my red 09 I like the gold forks, but cool to have that option available.
Thank you sir! They list much of their pricing online; for sportbike forks: anodizing is typically $250 for the pair. Your point is 100% correct; I figured while I was having work done anyway they might as well send them off for beautification!

Wow they look great black for sure, I agree they should have come in that color from the factory. If you do not mind me asking what do you weigh with gear?
With gear, I am around 205lb.

Thank you all for the kind comments (Love the Supertrooper Reference; great movie!)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like the black a lot! I'm reading a race tech suspension book right now actually so i learn a bit about it, kinda dry but interesting. I think everything on the bike should be black...the handlebars, wheels, forks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Received a nice package today from UPS!

I don't have much to say just yet as it is well below freezing and I won't be able to give a ride report for another month or so but, I have used Racetech in the past and can vouch for their quality and service. I sent them my forks mid December so that they could do a bit of R&D to come up with springs and valving options for stock fork upgrade. Below is a bit of information for those interested in talking with the guys and gals at Racetech (I have omitted prices as I believe it would be best to contact them directly).

Fork Springs:
Part Number: FRSP S3534095
Details: 34.7x340mm 0.95kg

Gold Valves:
Part Number: FMGV S2050C
Details: Sport / Road Race

Fork Oil: 5WT

*Please Note: Spring and fork oil weight were selected based on my riding weight, style, passenger, etc...; and may not be suited for your own needs.

I will be sure to follow-up with more installation photos as I progress and I promise to have a full ride report as soon as the weather allows.
A few questions on the springs, etc. :

OEM springs are 300 mm. ____Do you still have the same length on the top spacer or was it shortened for the 340 mm springs ?

What is your rider weight and sag ?

I used the # 95 - 315 mm Race Tec springs and cut the top spacer 10 mm shorter.

This gave me 30 mm sag with preload adjuster at half way, 230 Lb rider.

On bike # 2 I used # 90 - 300 mm Stoltec springs , no cut on top spacer, pre load half way to

make 35 mm sag , 230 Lb rider, eventual rider about 185 to 200 Lb , so he may have 30 mm sag.

Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few questions on the springs, etc. :

OEM springs are 300 mm. ____Do you still have the same length on the top spacer or was it shortened for the 340 mm springs ?

I used the # 95 - 315 mm Race Tec springs and cut the top spacer 10 mm shorter.

This gave me 30 mm sag with preload at half way, 230 Lb rider.

On bike # 2 I used # 90 - 300 mm Stoltec springs , no cut on top spacer, pre load half way to

make 35 mm sag , 230 Lb rider, eventual rider about 185 to 200 Lb , so he may have 30 mm sag.
Let's see what I can answer:

Do you still have the same length on the top spacer or was it shortened for the 340 mm springs?
I do not have an answer for this but I did let Racetech know that I was posting on the forum and will likely have questions; this will be number 1 on the list.

205lb w/Gear. Spring selection was made based on a theoretical sag of 30mm. Need to install to verify.

Thank you for your feedback on selected components; it will give me a great datum point.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, OK, time to spill the beans....what did RT do? Gold valves? Cartridges?
Lol, I thought I had already! They installed new springs and gold valves on my forks (Part numbers in first post); no cartridges for me at this point. However, I do believe that they gathered all necessary information to develop a set.

·
Registered
657 Posts
OOOoooo those are gonna be fantastic! I've had my R6 front forks pimped out by RaceTech and they are fantastic.

Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did they give you a new left leg cap with a compression adjuster or did they just put a valve stack in the left leg with a Gold Valve?
No new left leg cap (for me or the fork :) ). The gold valves just replace the stack components; no new level of adjustability with the selection that I made. Realistically, for the type of riding that I do, I could not justify the cost of a full cartridge exchange.

Thank you!

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Yeah, I just wanted to confirm if you had the gold valve treatment or the 25 mm cartridge. I knew they were working on a kit for the FZ-09, but didn't get the whole scoop. In my opinion, a basic revalve is a great upgrade on this bike - even without full adjustability.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The part number for the Gold Valve listed at the beginning of the thread- FMGV S2050C- is the same part number that Race Tech lists for the FZ8, although they don't yet include the FZ-09 in their application lists. Does anyone know if they ever tweak the kit if they do the installation? If not, sounds like we could just order that PN and do the installation.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The part number for the Gold Valve listed at the beginning of the thread- FMGV S2050C- is the same part number that Race Tech lists for the FZ8, although they don't yet include the FZ-09 in their application lists. Does anyone know if they ever tweak the kit if they do the installation? If not, sounds like we could just order that PN and do the installation.
I don't think they made any modification to the valve itself. However, I would suggest calling before you order just to be sure.

I can't say I am real surprised that they don't have part numbers listed for the FZ-09 yet; they are likely still pulling their notes together and still have not reviewed the rear shock just yet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick follow-up for C.Dolan:

Response from RT:

"We adjust the std preload spacer tube to set the forks up with 8mm assembled preload with the new springs. We do this to keep our road spring lengths to a few common lengths 250 270 340mm – to have our springs made the same length as OEM would mean we would need a larger range of odd sizes.
Its very easy to adjust the preload spacers length to obtain the desired preload required for the application"

C.Dolan: Out of curiosity; what diameter did you use for the RT springs?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quick follow-up for C.Dolan:

Response from RT:

"We adjust the std preload spacer tube to set the forks up with 8mm assembled preload with the new springs. We do this to keep our road spring lengths to a few common lengths 250 270 340mm – to have our springs made the same length as OEM would mean we would need a larger range of odd sizes.
Its very easy to adjust the preload spacers length to obtain the desired preload required for the application"

C.Dolan: Out of curiosity; what diameter did you use for the RT springs?
I think they were the same diameter as the 340 springs and OEM, which was 34 mm on one end and 37 mm on the other.

Sounds like they did the same as I did with the 315 springs and cutting 10 mm from the preload tube.

They may have cut the additional 25 mm from my 10 mm to make 35 mm shorter, overall.

As mentioned before, it gave me 30 mm sag with my adjusters in the middle of their adjustment range.

I try to target that in relation with the sought after sag so thee is adjustment either way.

I'm riding bike # 2, today, so I'll try and see if I get the 30 mm sag with the 185 to 200 Lb rider,

as opposed to 35 mm for me.

I'll post measurement, later.

PS: I wonder if they also went for the internal 8 mm preload with the adjuster all the way out, or half way in it's adjustment ?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts