Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will betaking my Fz 09 to the local drag track in upcoming weekends. on the bike it says to run 93 octane I was wondering if there would be any advantage/ disadvantage to mixing a half a gallon into a tanks worth of 93.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you're not tune for it, don't do it. Event tuned you won't get any significant gain other than pissing $$$ away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you can advance the timing you can take some advantage of high octane. you may be able to gain a little with oxygenated fuel but im not sure if the ecu will richen up enough to make a difference. with out a way to test and tune the ECU you're pretty much wasting your money. it does smell terrific though. i have to use it in my dirtbike and that with dominator oil brings me back to my racing days. the best time you can spend is working on your launches and shifts. and leaded fuel will wreak havoc on your catalytic converter

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Where did you see that 93 octane is required for the bike? Owners manual states 91 octane or higher.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my dyno testing days we understood that extra octane only lost power. FZR400s didn't need much octane so back in the 90s we used to buy winter grade regular leaded for our race bikes. Winter grade because they used oxygenators and regular leaded for the lower octane and the very slight lead content for the valves. We would gain about 1 - 1.5 HP over premium summer gas.
I run mid-grade non-ethanol fuel in my FZ and it runs great on the dyno and on the track. I think it's 89 octane.

By the way, you can just pour U4.4 into just about any bike and notice a performance increase without special tuning. I used it during my last year of racing to get more speed out of my supersport bike in the superbike class. It most definitely gave the bike a couple of HP according to the increased RPM at the end of the straight. Unless you're chasing trophies, the cost isn't worth the performance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
VP Racing MR12 is by far the best fuel for picking up a sizeable hp gain on a stock motor. I've seen common gains of 8-12 hp on 1000cc and above bikes. I did not test MR12 on the FZ when I had one here last time, but it might just happen if I get to test one again. I'm thinking it should pick up an easy 6-8hp with a proper tune. Note though.... MR12 usually requires increased fuel, so just pouring it in without proper mapping would most likely be a waste of money and probably run your bike lean.... And at $125-135 per 5 gallons I wouldn't want to run it without a proper tune.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ben, when I get the bike back in your hands, feel free to do a race gas map for it. I may pick up the dynojet switch and we can just leave the race gas map loaded for the unsuspecting H2 (kidding of course) but I am itching for some more HP. Hope to get it up there this week for you.

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Back when I was racing, NUtec was the gas to use. I picked up 6 hp at the wheel on my r6 vs pump gas with tuning(115/121 on a 99 r6). The stuff was expensive, would destroy the rubber fuel lines and would boil over in your carbs, flooding the bike if it got hot. Basically a total ass pain. Plus everyone was running it so we all just spent more money and were right back to an even playing field, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts