Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it yet? Search function didn't find any matches. Since it runs the same size forks at 41mm, i figured it'd be the best bang for your buck to make the fz09 into a truly sick bike. with my fz1, i swapped over a full r1 suspension/brake package to finally have a bike worth riding. sadly yamaha treats the fz lines suspension and brakes worse than a red headed stepchild. but with the r6 brakes/forks...i imagine it'd be a perfect swap to make it sick. you can find used r6 parts everywhere on the r6-forums so i was hoping someone had done it already. if anyone needs help with a parts list i can help ya with it

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I haven't tried a fork swap, for my 09 I'm going with the 25mm cartridges from Stoltec in the vender's section of the forum.

From what I recall other forum members saying months ago, the 09 forks are longer than what most sport bikes have, in other words the triple clamps are higher off the ground. So a swap would lower the front more than you'd generally want to do. I'm not saying it is impossible, but look at that carefully before you commit to it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
From what I recall other forum members saying months ago, the 09 forks are longer than what most sport bikes have, in other words the triple clamps are higher off the ground. So a swap would lower the front more than you'd generally want to do. I'm not saying it is impossible, but look at that carefully before you commit to it.
^This

Yes, I remember reading that as well.... but I can't find that conversation again for the life of me though.....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
By the time you spend the cash on a set of R6 forks, have them revalved and sprung for the FZ09 and get the extended caps, I suspect you would be spending more than having Traxxion Dynamics or Stoltec or Racetech rework your stock FZ09 forks.

BTW, the FZ09 lower triple clamp diameter is 52mm. I know the FZ1/R1 lower triple clamp is 54 mm. I don't know the diameter of the R6 lower triple clamp.

Reactions: ak_rr

·
Registered
657 Posts
As an aside, R6 2005+ inverted front forks are 4.7" travel, where as FZ-09 is 5.4" travel.

I know the FZ-09 brake pads are the same as my R6.

I'm sure the swap is doable, but for me, I'll take the extra travel of the stock forks for street riding.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Springs and valves in the stock forks with make a huge improvement, and be much cheaper than sourcing new forks and bits to make a conversion work. The nice thing about a potential R6 conversion, is the compression damping adjustment though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The fork swaps...They would be awesome if the fork you were switching to had a awesome setting, but they dont..any brand. With the supersport conversions, you get stiff.

Dont confuse that with "good" Maybe better than what you started with, but far from good, and nowhere near worth the cost. 5-600, at least, to get back to stock settings? The original set up was still a compromise. No idea on the riders weight or intended use. You coudl figure it set up more for track use, but even still, compromised.

A radial master cylinder will help a lot with the brakes, and you shoudl not have to pay much for one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just wondered, thanks.

with supersport you get adjust-ability, not just stiff

there's 4 things you gotta have on a bike, a tune, suspension, tires, and time. yamaha, generally puts garbage suspension on the fz series sadly, the r series is that much better. the current r1 forks are 43mm, and r6 at 41mm, and since the fz09 front end is also 41mm, i figured it'd be a simple swap. a set of forks can be had for $200ish so, figured it'd be a quick easy swap for someone to pioneer :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
A radial master cylinder will help a lot with the brakes, and you shoudl not have to pay much for one.
This is true, stainless lines and a new MC proved to be a big improvement in the braking dept. even with stock pads. And I would think almost any MC that fits on a 7/8" bar would work. I used the old one off my 2010 R1 that I had laying around. Just need a new lever and reservoir and it's good to go.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is true, stainless lines and a new MC proved to be a big improvement in the braking dept. even with stock pads. And I would think almost any MC that fits on a 7/8" bar would work. I used the old one off my 2010 R1 that I had laying around. Just need a new lever and reservoir and it's good to go.
this is definitely a vast improvement over stock! a stock r1 or r6 master is a great upgrade just as it is, braided lines is second. also, ebc hh pads, will also help immensely for street bikes

·
Registered
877 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts