Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been done/covered before. It's a popular modification on other makes/models in addition to the FZ/MT/XSR's. I did this as a reference for my self and others outside of this forum who might be looking for info. If you aren't looking to match the factory Yamaha grip to your current one you can order the Motion Pro R6 throttle tube (part number 01-1303). It is identical in size to the factory Yamaha R6 throttle tube. If you want the factory part that comes with the grip and washer attached, order Yamaha part 2C0-26240-00.

For reference, I put blue painters tape on my stock XSR 900 throttle tube (Yamaha part 4YR-26240-02-00), then transfered it over to the Motion Pro R6 throttle tube for comparison. The lines on the tape corespond with closed and WOT positions.

thumbnail_20210719_180156.jpg

My stock XSR 900 tube is on the left, the factory Yamaha R6 tube is on the right.

thumbnail_20210719_192051.jpg

This picture has the Factory Yamaha R6 tube on the bottom and the Motion Pro R6 tube on top. What I attempted to show is that the cam portion of the tubes is the same diameter.

thumbnail_20210719_180052.jpg

And this picture shows the difference in cam size of the R6 tube (bottom) compaired to the stock FZ-09/MT-09/XSR 900 tube (top).
thumbnail_20210719_192135.jpg

And lastly here are the R6 throttle tube part numbers. Factory Yamaha package on the left. Motion Pro on the right.

thumbnail_20210719_195045.jpg

Hopefully some will find this info usefully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice detailed pictures! forgive me if this comes off wrong but, whats the point of this mod? wouldn't it make the throttle super sensitive taking away 1/4 of its travel? is this more for track use then street duty? i can see where if you were riding at or near WOT consistently this would make sense, less wrist movement means less stress on the wrist right?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
nice detailed pictures! forgive me if this comes off wrong but, whats the point of this mod? wouldn't it make the throttle super sensitive taking away 1/4 of its travel? is this more for track use then street duty? i can see where if you were riding at or near WOT consistently this would make sense, less wrist movement means less stress on the wrist right?
Yep. Less movement to get to WOT.

I’ve had a bunch of different kinds of quick turn throttles. You get used to them eventually and are great for snappy response.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I considered the R6 throttle tube swap before the ECU reflash but with the flash A mode is quick enough for me. Nicely detailed post.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Most people will just get the throttle maps reconfigured when sending the ECU in for a flash but this was definitely the way to get quicker turn before throttle by wire was a thing.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I modified my stock tube to make initial opening slower and less twitchy. I can't imagine a Q/T tube would be very nice on an early bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts