Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the MC last night on FZ09 with my old MC off my R6 race bike. I raced for 3 years with the stock R6 MC and never had any issues so this will be more then efficient for street riding. Also, threw on some new steel lines and this upgrade is my favorite so far!

Next up is carts!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Fuel tank

·
Administrator
2,881 Posts
Awesome. I'm putting on my radial MC before the weekend. Looking forward to the improvement.
Are you set on stoltec cartridges? Or have you been thinking of something else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MC swap will be worth every penny and is a cheap option since you can buy used R6/R1 MC's all day for around $100 or less.

As for carts, I have been back and forth with Nick about this. The Stoltec cart kit is cheapest option and I'll definitely notice the improvement but I know I will want full compression adjustability as this bike will be used for daily commute, coaching, and of course hooligan fun! I can get the 20mm K-Tech carts cheaper then his GP kit but more expensive then his cart drop in kit.

I race for P1Moto and owner is a parts dealer so he is working on setting up a new account with Ohlins so I'm waiting to pull the trigger until I know if he can get me gold parts...

So basically I'm still undecided with the exception of I'm going full carts with compression adjustability not the std rebuilt carts. I will keep you updated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My MC came off my 12' R6 race bike, which is the 3rd gen (08-16). With that said, the newer gen will be compatible as well. The MC will be compatible from any gen R6 and R1 before 2015.

The 08-16 year range is a Brembo 16mm and it may be the same for 4th gen (17-current). The only thing that requires some thought is how you mount the brake reservoir. I mounted mine directly to the brake lever pivot bolt but Brembo makes a kit that will work as well (link below$$). You can make your own bracket easily but make sure if your buying used it comes with a reservoir as the stock MC has the reservoir built in and not reusable.

The MC to me is worth doing!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not sure what they cost these days but a new a new R6 or R1 are brembo master cylinder for up to I think 14 was about a 100 and semi bucks A few years ago from part shark I also got the hose for master cylinder And the 2 clamps

I bought a suitable reservoir off of Amazon and a Bikemaster master cylinder mirror Bar clamp And made my own L bracket that Mounts under the mirror

I also went to 320 mm the rotors from a 2014 R1 and caliper spacers and longer bolts along with speigler brake lines

EBC HH plus pads are OK but original vesra RJL pads are better

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait till your next track day... If you go to the same track your brake markers will be pushed back every bit of 30-40ft I bet! You will find yourself grabbing too much brake too early until you get more familiar haha.

Glad your enjoying "proper" mods!

·
Administrator
2,881 Posts
That will be saturday, but it's my first time at Roebling.
In a couple more weeks I'll be back at NCBIKE which is my fav. track. So I can't wait to give it the beans there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking forward to your feedback from Roebling with new pavement. Turn 3 which is a fast lh sweeper always had a nasty bump from middle to right side of track. Turn 8 (RH under trees) has another bump on rh side of track against curbing maybe 4ft out. Then turn 9 has a 10" window to hit just right in order not to hit bumps. It used to have a painted white square where you had to put your tires. This will be gone with new pavement I assume.

I expect updates on these known bumps!

RRR is a very fast flowing track. No hard braking zones and you will be on the side of the tire alot. I would setup suspension softer then you normally ride to soak up bumps (if they are still present) and because you won't be on the binders hard and will be leaning 75% of track.

We race there July 16th/17th and nobody has any idea what new surface will be like.

·
Administrator
2,881 Posts
I expect updates on these known bumps!
We race there July 16th/17th and nobody has any idea what new surface will be like.
Will do. I typically run a 360° camera on the bike, so I will try to get a lot of good videos to study.

We're watching the weather right now as there might be scattered t-storms. I'll probably bring my Angel GT2's just in case of rain.
Thanks for the tips on the lay of the land.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts