Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently "laid down" the bike learning me some Gymkhana. Went down on the left side going ~5mph trying full lock turns. I have OES frame sliders on front mounts, forks and rear spools. By laid down I mean just that, it was more of a controlled fall than a drop of the bike. No biggie. Pick it up and behold!

IMAG1335.jpg

Stator covered got scratched and in the photo has been colored with black sharpie. Kinda irked, that being the first damage to the bike since I bought it. But I moved on. Can replace stator cover fairly easy with some time and $80, but what if I drop it again? Still gotta work on that Gymkhana. I laid the FZ on its left side to assess.

IMAG1321B.jpg IMAG1322.jpg IMAG1323.jpg

You can see a few things in these photos. Mainly that the bike, with the OES sliders on it, rests on the stator cover. The other pieces in contact are front OES slider, left foot peg, kickstand and left bar end. The bars are turned to the left in these photos as it seems to me to be the most likely way they will end up in a slow simple fall. Turned right the left bar end still contacts the ground and supports the bike. The plastics, turn signals, tank and stock mirrors are all pretty safe in this scenario. None of them touch. You can also tell from the last photo what happens to the right side if the bike laid down on that side. I did lay the bike down on the right side also for assessing but did not bother with photos because the OES slider, foot peg, rear spool and right bar end keep everything else off the ground. My passenger pegs are removed.

What does this all mean? To me it means I need to protect the left side. I don't mind a scratch or 2 but next time I could split the case cover. I wanted something that could handle a fall or even 3 if that happens. I have found a few options out there that I'm looking into and may try but the typical crash bar set ups are not readily available for the FZ-09 yet. So for now I wanted to keep the stock stator cover in one piece if I fall again. Hence:

IMAG1336.jpg

I Looked at a lot, if not all the left sided protection that's out there and settled on the R&G cover for a few reasons. 1) I could buy just this cover, not a whole set. 2) It works with what I've already got. 3) R&G has a good rep seemed and it like a good product. 4) It also protects the water pump. 5) It was reasonably priced. Most of the stator protection protects only the bottom side of the stator cover, it seems to me they would not protect the center / upper edge which can easily make contact in a lay down. Maybe in conjunction with other kit parts they do, like the entire T-REX kit or Woodcraft or something, I don't know. If you got a kit please lay it down and take some pics. I'm interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The R&G Cover itself feels solid if thin. I picked it up from Twisted Throttle for $140, it arrived promptly and soundly. It has 3 mounting points with some kinda rivet washer thing to meet up with the stock cover. Everything lined up easy-peasy. Pic of inside of cover and lining up:

IMAG1337.jpg IMAG1338.jpg

3 bolts that come with and clear instructions it takes all of 5 minutes to put on. Seems solid, looks decent, gotta say I'm happy. I have not laid the bike back on the left side cover to verify as of yet, and I'm hoping I don't have to when I am playing in the parking lot. But I may... and we'll see then how it holds up.

IMAG1340.jpg IMAG1342.jpg IMAG1343.jpg

So that's that. Hope it helps someone!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is that a decal or is it painted on ?

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cover logo is some sort of decal, thick, prolly removable with some patience. Not painted or screened on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Agree, the strator cover is a bitch to replace if you punch a hole in it. Read the thread of someone replacing theirs and finding out it was more of a pain since you have to remove the water pump cover as well. Reading that I order the R&G cover myself. The right side I have left factory having already replaced the oil pump cover from the previous owners drop. That one was only $45 to replace and nothing more that waiting til my oil change to do it. Recommend getting a strator cover as it will save you money and time in the long run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Word. Been a while since post but I have since dropped the bike on that side, R&G cover couldn't care less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts