Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This "how to" is probably not really needed, as this is about as simple a job that you can do to your FZ....other than maybe putting air in the tires, but I went ahead and took some pics during the process just in case anyone felt like they wanted to see what was going on. I put my bike on the Pit Bull stands, although that step is not really necessary; it was more a matter of convenience for me.

Next picture shows where the right side frame slider is mounted at the front of the frame....

The next two pics shows the frame slider and new bolt....

Removing the right side engine/frame mount bolt with an 8mm allen wrench and a socket wrench...

Right side frame slider mounted into front position with approx. 43 ft. lbs. of torque and end cap put on slider...

This pic shows the left side of the bike and the engine/frame mount existing bolt to be removed...

Left side existing bolt removed...

New frame slider with new bolt getting ready to be installed...

Left side frame slider installed and torqued....same as right side.

End cap being installed in left slider with the R&G logo showing...

What it looks like when done....

The tool list for this project is very small. Basically, you will need....
1. An 8mm Allen wrench for removal of the existing engine/frame bolts. If you have the type that fit on a socket wrench, it's obviously easier that the single Allen wrench.
2. A torque wrench that reads in ft. lbs.
3. A 3/8" or 1/2" drive ratchet wrench....depending on what sockets/Allens that you have
4. A 17mm hex head socket for the ratchet wrench and a 3" extension piece.

NOTE: Only remove one of the engine/frame bolts at a time. This should keep the engine from moving or dropping down when the bolt is removed.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks, Vern. Very simple it is, and the pics and explanations make that clear.
I have two minor questions: Do you feel that Locktite is unnecessary for the bolts? And do you feel that these sliders will protect the radiator in the event of a crash or tip over?
Again, sharing your experiences through your dedication to both forums is very much appreciated by me, and I'm sure, all members!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Vern. Very simple it is, and the pics and explanations make that clear.
I have two minor questions: Do you feel that Locktite is unnecessary for the bolts? And do you feel that these sliders will protect the radiator in the event of a crash or tip over?
Again, sharing your experiences through your dedication to both forums is very much appreciated by me, and I'm sure, all members!
No problem Greg, glad I could do it. When I took out the factory bolts, there was NO locktite on them, so I didn't put any on the new bolts that I installed with the sliders. The right side slider will definitely protect the radiator, the left side will also protect the radiator, but the left side slider is just a few millimeters longer than what the left side engine cover stick out.......so I'm not too sure about that. If I were designing the sliders, I would probably have made them another 1/2" longer. I hope I never have to test them obviously, but it would be very close on the left side.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Vern, did you order them from Twisted Throttle or Great Britain? I ordered some stuff and have yet to see it from them.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug, I bought mine through Twisted Throttle. They were originally not expected to be in stock until Nov. 5th, but I guess they arrived early and they shipped them. I received them yesterday (Saturday) and put them on yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Cool, thanks. I ordered them directly before I started ordering from TT. One last question, can you remove the R&G logo from the inside of the cap? If so, I would just black paint the inside.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about that one.....I didn't really look at them that close when I put them on. If I get a chance, I'll take a look.

Reactions: DNFDOUG
1 - 7 of 7 Posts