Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate how I can not go WOT without breaking my wrist back. This is one of the longest throttle turns ive felt. I want it to go WOT with less twist.

What options exist? Want something just a bit better than stock, where I can go full range without my wrist having to bend so far back. But I dont want instant WOT either.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Same thing that i serach but found nothing...

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
two options,

one my ecu flash fro $80 that fixes the jerkiness of the stock throttle plus gives you a 3/4 turn throttle a smooth throttle and a reduced traction throttle plus all the other features of the flash like fuel mappig, ignition timing, fans on earlier, and ais disable

two try an r6 throttle tube, I haven't done it on the 9 but have on other yamahas and it has always worked its not quite a 3/4 turn throttle but its shorter then standard

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with... "3/4" turn throttle! The FZ09 is like many bikes with a 1/4 turn throttle.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

Using the mold mark on the grip I put masking tape at the physically full closed and open throttle, the gap between the tape is the range. Then I tried to take a photo from the axis of the grip, a bit off but the camera's flash makes it look off too.

Holding a protractor to the photo on my screen it looks like about 78 degrees, holding the protractor to the end of the bars it looks like it could be less. Several possible errors, but seems to be well less than a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Using the mold mark on the grip I put masking tape at the physically full closed and open throttle, the gap between the tape is the range. Then I tried to take a photo from the axis of the grip, a bit off but the camera's flash makes it look off too.

Holding a protractor to the photo on my screen it looks like about 78 degrees, holding the protractor to the end of the bars it looks like it could be less. Several possible errors, but seems to be well less than a 1/4 turn.
For those geometrically challenged among us: 360 degrees = full circle. 1/4 turn = 90 degrees. IIRC the R6 and some other bikes have 1/5 turn throttles = 72 degrees

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I hate how I can not go WOT without breaking my wrist back. This is one of the longest throttle turns ive felt. I want it to go WOT with less twist.

What options exist? Want something just a bit better than stock, where I can go full range without my wrist having to bend so far back. But I dont want instant WOT either.
I suggest you check the slop in the throttle cable so there is not excessive slop. It is easy to adjust using the throttle cable adjuster barrel located in the throttle cable, about 6" from the throttle grip.

I suggest that also you check your wrist position.

Often riders have issues with their wrist position with the throttle closed and then don't realize how that screws with the ergonomics as you twist the throttle, use the brakes, turn, etc.

Correct ergos should have your hand, wrist and forearm fairly straight/aligned when you are squeezing the brake lever. Your elbows should always be bent and loose.

Make sure the brake lever is adjusted the correct angle around the handlebar and the correct distance from the grip for your hand.

I've seen riders with their wrists too low (sounds like your issue) and riders with their wrist too high. Either causes problems that are often mistakenly blamed on the bike.

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got SCM and RME quick throttles on my RSV4 and R1. On all my other bikes I've done a DIY quick throttle.

I've made a bunch of 1/6th turn or larger throttle tubes, on R1's, FZ1's, FZ6's, GSXR's, CBR's etc. All you need is a PVC coupler from the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Some acetone to clean everything properly. Some plastic specific adhesive, I used Aryldite 2 part epoxy. And a bench grinder/angle grinder/air grinder/dremel.

Cut a slice of the joiner the same width as your throttle tube.
Cut a section out so that it clips over your OEM throttle tube.

Slope the ends with the grinder so that the transition from OEM to PVC isn't so abrupt that it causes wear/stress on the throttle cables.

Back the throttle cable adjustment right off so that you have plenty of excess length.
You may need to trim inside the OEM housing to allow the larger diameter PVC to fit.

Fit the cables to your new throttle and keep slimming it down on the grinder until the cables clear the housing easily.

Stock...

DIY...

**Edit : On my 01 R1 I had to put 15mm longer cables in my OEM outers, to be able to reach around the new throttle. You can buy kits with new cables and solderable ends to replicate your OEM cable. When my 09 finally washes ashore in Oz, I'll make a QT throttle and let you know. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hate to state the obvious but you do realize that in A mode the throttle is "wide open" when the twist grip is turned to 75% of it's range, right? Moving the grip from 3/4 to full has no effect in A mode.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Here the difference between stock, PVC pipe mod and R6 throttle tube. I use the PVC tube most of the time for street riding. I think I'll keep the R6 for the track only. I like the way it ramp up... still about stock in the first bit but ramp up pass about 40% throttle. Made it about 1/5 throttle. Stock is 1/4T and R6 is 1/6T.

20140827_183600.jpg

·
Registered
969 Posts
This is one option: Motion Pro Throttle Tube #01-0094. Amazon has them for under $10. Can't find my notes now but IIRC, it was an '06-?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts