Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 3" Steel Strap, a $5 vinyl coated Master Lock and a can of black Plastic Dip.
I used a dremel tool to grind the ends round and smooth out any sharp edges. Drill a hole in one end to allow the bolt under the seat (shown below) to fit and a hole in the other end for the Master Lock to fit thru. If you read Part 1 and 2 of this method you will have pictures of each step of the process. Once finished the helmet can be locked and unlocked VERY quickly. The steel strap is secure and only sticks out 2" once the seat is installed. The helmet does not touch any part of the motorcycle, including the tire so you wont scratch up your helmet. Once the strap was installed I had my wife sit on the passenger seat very far back (I am 6' tall and have long arms so I need room) no matter how she moved she never touched the strap. The strap doesn't touch the seat or the plastic below the seat once the seat is installed so you are not going to scratch the seat or the plastic. The photos below show the strap after it has been drilled and the ends rounded and smoothed. They show the strap with the seat off and where it bolts to the motorcycle and with the seat on.

The bottom photo shows the strap once it has been rubberized. The camera flash makes the strap look gray but the black rubber coating is a much closer black to the seat and plastic than it appears.

LRoss78550

Auto part Technology

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Revolver

Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Tin can Food

Auto part Vehicle Brake Tire Motorcycle accessories

Photos of the finished Lock on Part 2 Link Below

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2379-quick-easy-use-home-made-helmet-lock-part-2-a.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to scratch my new helmet. I had a cable gun lock that I attached to the back of the bike. It worked and the helmet didn't rub but I run service calls and the min. it was taking me to lock and then another min. to unlock it again was getting on my nerves. Now I can lock or unlock the helmet in 10 seconds. I am sure for most people who are only locking their helmet twice a day this isn't needed but if your like me and constantly using the lock this system works pretty well. I am just a computer network guy so I am sure many of you could make a nicer solution.
LRoss78550

1 - 3 of 3 Posts