Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that runs aftermarket bars (got some Pro Taper Carmichael bend bars), do you grind/cut down the ends of the handlebar? How much? I don't care if it's a little wider than stock bars, Im just curious what people have found to work best or be most comfortable.

And on the 2017+ FZ, where does that license plate light wire un-plug that runs along the chain guard? I want to get a carbon chain guard to clean up the look and eliminate that wire. Should I also remove the fuse for the license plate light?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,813 Posts
On my XSR, I originally used Pro Taper Universal Lows, and they were quite wide. Uncomfortably so. However, I couldn't trim the ends because the control pods and master cylinder barely fit between the end of the bar and the part where it starts to bend. In fact, I had to slice off part of the threaded mirror mount on the master cylinder just to make everything fit.

Apparently, people haven't had this issue with Carmichaels, which are pretty popular with the FZ/MT crowd. I don't know why, because the specs look very similar. I'm much happier with my Hurricane Swallow bars I'm running now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you do decide to trim the bars down, you wont have much to take off. Maybe about a 1/4 inch each side. The the controls take up most of the bar. There are hash marks on the bar for reference.

·
Registered
513 Posts
on the top of the chain guide there is a push pin connector as well as a 5 mm bolt just ahead of that...when those are removed the top of the guide will slide back and you will find the connector

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I trimmed 30mm off each end (Renthal McGrath Low), had them tapped to take factory end weights, and slightly tapered the M/cyl and clutch clamps to match the taper on the bars.
Everything fits and works fine.
IMG_20190925_111023.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts