Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been really enjoying reading all the posts.

I'm 42 been riding since I was old enough to to reach the pegs. I've owned Japanese bikes most of the time. In the last couple of years, I've been on a Softail Deluxe. While that's a great straight line ride, I'm looking for something that's a little more tidy in the corners and lighter to maneuver in the city. After trying lots of bikes that I didn't like, I happened upon the FZ-09/MT-09. Its the first bike that I'd feel comfortable selling my HD for. The torque and speed is mind numbingly awesome (but you guys knew that already).

I have a few questions for those of you who have been riding it for a few months now…

Have you been able to get used to the "twitchy" throttle in 'A' mode. Is it one of those things where you can open the throttle smoothly after you get used to it? Or is it always that way and will always be that way until you reprogram the ECU.

Is it too light for the amount of power that it has? (Can you more easily kill yourself on this bike compared to others) I know it's a dumb question.

Has your a$$ gotten used to the seat? Has anyone tried the comfort seat yet?

I've read people talking about it being versatile. However, is it a Jack of All but a master of none. Can a multi-purpose tool be good at everything?

I've also read people complaining about the Dunlop tires. Are they really that crapy. Is it a real safety concern if you're not pushing it to the limit? I guess, I have the same question for the brakes and suspension as well.

Has anyone had any near misses/crashes that they can attribute directly to how the bike is set up? (not inexperienced riding, just bad dynamics)

Many thanks for any light that you guys (and gals) could shed on the subject.

By the way, I live in Sydney Australia but grew up in NY. Not sure what the point is of me telling you that.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Australian riding conditions without the accent? ;)

At least in the States there's about a 50/50 chance of the bike coming with Bridgestones, seems most of the negative comments are about the Dunlops, and that mostly in cold conditions. I'd say just take it easy as you get a feel for the tires, and use lower pressure than Yamaha says, like 32psi.

It does have a lot of torque for it's weight, if you like to gas it hard (and you will like it) a lot of time if you aren't doing a wheelie the front will just sort of be skimming the pavement lol. One of those things you just have to practice, get a feel for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Welcome, xHD. All good questions. My answers may seem a bit terse, but they're intended as an honest "first thought that comes to mind" response. There are threads on many, if not all, of the questions you posed. This site is growing rapidly, and many of the threads have faded from the first page of most recent threads. I'm not big on just telling people to "search the site" and consider it disrespectful. But the following responses probably summarize my opinions on topics that have appeared in those threads.

Have you been able to get used to the "twitchy" throttle in 'A' mode.
For the most part, yes. I primarily used mode B for the first thousand miles, then added Standard and A modes after getting used to everything else about the FZ-09.

Is it too light for the amount of power that it has? (Can you more easily kill yourself on this bike compared to others)
No to the first question, probably yes to the second. My previous motorcycle had a 24 hp engine, so learning the FZ-09's capabilities in controlled increments was (and still is) essential for me.

Yes to the first question. I was considering an alteration to the seat, but after a few hundred miles decided the stock seat is fine. No to the second question.

Are they really that crapy. Is it a real safety concern if you're not pushing it to the limit?
In my opinion, no. However, I expect there will be some disagreement on this subject.

Has anyone had any near misses/crashes that they can attribute directly to how the bike is set up? (not inexperienced riding, just bad dynamics)
My near misses (fortunately few) have been attributable to inexperience with the motorcycle.

Again, welcome! If you decide the FZ-09 is right for you, that's awesome. If not, that's OK as well. Glad you're enjoying the posts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick and honest answers. Apologies for asking questions that appear in other threads. Since the bike is so new I wanted to see how things were going after doing a bit more riding (not first impressions).

Its easy to get hung up on the negative things, so I'm trying to get a gauge on how major some of the gripes are. I'm not the kind of rider who typically hangs off the bike around a curve, so not sure if the Tires, brakes and suspension issues people have with the bike will pertain to me. On my test ride, none of those things stuck out. (just the jerkiness in A-Mode and a$$ going a little numb).

If I can strike a good deal for my HD @ the dealer on Monday, I'll be going home with one (or at least ordering it).

Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
883 Posts
No need to apologize, and I'm sorry if my comment came across as critical. I was attempting to mention the other threads for additional reading at some other time. But I probably botched the attempt.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It is a great motorcycle, and the tires with lower pressure warmed up are just fine. Taking the slack out of the throttle helps, but STD mode is plenty fine. A mode is not jerky if you are playing in the upper rev range, which is its intention. Suspension is below par if you weigh more than 170 pounds geared up.

I love the bike and a grand in suspension and brake upgrades make it a formidable canyon carver.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome! There have been a pretty wide variety of riders getting this bike. I don't think I have heard anyone regret the purchase yet. It's really just a fun machine that puts a grin on my face every time I ride it. Mine has the Dunlap tires and I haven't had any issues with traction yet. Coldest ride was 39f but mostly warmer. There are definitely better tires but these ones aren't a safety concern imho. Hope this helps.

Daniel

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love the motorcycle, the only issue I have is the suspension is for a much lighter person and it lacks sophistication. If you are willing to put a grand into the suspension then there's no issue. Tires take time to warm up, I have never gotten to the end of a ride and had cold tires even in 45 degree weather. I got used to the jerky throttle very quickly even in A mode. I think the seat is great, you are sitting straight up so everything else feels good. Your softail is obviously going to be more comfortable but the ergos on this bike are pretty darn good for the price. I'm probably going to find a custom seat shop to improve the stock seat with some memory foam. Go for it, you will never stop smiling.

·
Registered
663 Posts
G'day mate. Kevin Wilson would recommend a red one. Have fun, be safe down under. (Most folks are going to wonder who the heck is Kevin "bloody" Wilson.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'day mate. Kevin Wilson would recommend a red one. Have fun, be safe down under. (Most folks are going to wonder who the heck is Kevin "bloody" Wilson.
Heck, I'm wondering who Kevin Wilson is. I've been here 7 years and I don't know.

The MT-09 was the only bike that put a smile on my face out of the ones that I test drove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A UK rider here but I don't think that affects the answers.

Have you been able to get used to the "twitchy" throttle in 'A' mode. Is it one of those things where you can open the throttle smoothly after you get used to it? Or is it always that way and will always be that way until you reprogram the ECU.
I've not been able to get used to it yet. I think something would have to be done to the bike electronically for the A mode to become enjoyable. I'm not saying it's unusable but if you want more power STD is the way to go, albeit a bit snatchy too.

I've done about 700 miles on it and I've only used A a handful of times. Even when going down a motorway/freeway at 4-5k revs and trying to speed up I find it far too snatchy and, frankly, I just can't be bothered to feather my clutch all the time just for it to feel smooth. It's even more pronounced while riding in the city because you are usually in lower revs and the bike is far too jerky for my(!) liking. B on the other hand is very nice but will probably feel a bit underpowered when you get used to the bike.

Is it too light for the amount of power that it has? (Can you more easily kill yourself on this bike compared to others) I know it's a dumb question.
You can easily kill yourself on a 125 too if you're stupid hence my answer to this one will be a no. In my view its weight is actually its advantage. I do most of my riding in London and, as you probably know, we are allowed to filter (lane split). This bike is very light and flickable and I feel much more agile on it than I did on an XJ6 when I rode it (which is 30kg heavier).

Going back to killing yourself - depends on what you compare it to. If you're comparing it against ZX-10R then obviously it's not as "easy" to do it, comparing to a YBR125 - obviously yes. I'm the believer in it all being in your wrist. If you know you can be patient when you have to and not push when you feel you shouldn't then you'll be alright but being a new rider, I don't really think I'm the one who should be telling this to someone with 30-odd years of riding experience. As my instructor told me - you get used to the speed and power and after having ridden it for 2 months I must agree with him. Even though it's a very powerful bike it sometimes feels like it could do with a bit more power :D But that's just me being stupid :)

It actually has. First couple days I rode it I thought I wouldn't be able to last an hour on it but without even noticing it I got used to it and now it's perfectly fine. I did 80 miles in heavy traffic a couple weeks ago, riding, stopping, riding, stopping and I was knackered by the end of the day but my butt was fine. However, it's everyone's personal preference I reckon. I wouldn't mind a nice comfy seat but it's definitely not my priority at the moment (I haven't tried it simply because none of the accessories is available here, not even the tank guard).

I've read people talking about it being versatile. However, is it a Jack of All but a master of none. Can a multi-purpose tool be good at everything?
Again, depends on what you want to do with it. In my case it's perfect for my city riding and I wouldn't want anything else. I've done longer distances on motorways too and it being a naked bike it obviously doesn't have the wind protection you would get with faired bikes so it won't be as comfortable on longer distances but that's something you should expect from a naked bike.

I've also read people complaining about the Dunlop tires. Are they really that crapy. Is it a real safety concern if you're not pushing it to the limit? I guess, I have the same question for the brakes and suspension as well.
Can't really comment on tires as I have the Bridgestone S20R's. They feel fine but being a new rider I'm definitely not pushing them to their limits. I'll come back in a few years time when I'm more seasoned :)

Regarding brakes - front = sharp yet controllable, rear = very strong. Suspention - probably towards the soft side. I've not adjusted anything so riding stock. A friend of mine who usually rides dirtbikes was shocked at how stiff it was, I came from Honda CBF125 and Yamaha XJ6 find it quite similar to those two. I won't be changing it though as I quite like it. Might make the front a bit stiffer if that's possible but I've no idea how to do it so not gonna touch it myself.

Not really. Its power has saved me a couple times by allowing me to pull away from dangerous situations. Same with its brakes - they've saved me a few times when blind cagers decided to change lanes or pulled out in front of me without looking. Its rear brake is very good and is almost enough to stop you from rather high speeds in decent distances without the help of the front brake. Not that I'm suggesting you to do it but it's one thing that few people who have ridden it have mentioned.

Watch a few videos and see what other people say too. Here are a few good ones:

I guess that's it from me. Hope this helps and sorry for not being able to answer all of your questions with authority. Like I said I'm still new to biking and I'm still learning hence am not as familiar with tires/suspention/brakes/physics as many others here will be. On the good side - if I can do it, you can do it so don't worry about anything. You'll love the bike. I seriously think that when the time comes to get something else I'll be struggling simply because I find this bike to be so good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I rarely use a mode, but standard is fine if you aren't putting around at 3k rpm. I wouldn't consider riding in A mode unless you aren't dipping below 5500 rpm. The bike is not at all unsafe unless you let the power to to your head, which is actually easy to do. I actually don't have a complaint about the seat at all. If you're riding hard and aren't small you'll feel the rear shock squat quite a bit. I will be wanting to upgrade the tires and probably the rear shock, but honestly I could probably live with both for quite some time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I've been really enjoying reading all the posts.

I'm 42 been riding since I was old enough to to reach the pegs. I've owned Japanese bikes most of the time. In the last couple of years, I've been on a Softail Deluxe. While that's a great straight line ride, I'm looking for something that's a little more tidy in the corners and lighter to maneuver in the city. After trying lots of bikes that I didn't like, I happened upon the FZ-09/MT-09. Its the first bike that I'd feel comfortable selling my HD for. The torque and speed is mind numbingly awesome (but you guys knew that already).

I have a few questions for those of you who have been riding it for a few months now…

Many thanks for any light that you guys (and gals) could shed on the subject.

By the way, I live in Sydney Australia but grew up in NY. Not sure what the point is of me telling you that.

Keep the softail and get the 09. If you can afford to do this. And especially have the time for two bikes. Because it takes up a lot of time with just one.
As comparison:
The softail is a ford super duty four door deisel
The 09 is a porche 911

The throttle takes awhile to get the finess needed. Seems lean till it is opened up above 20%. That can be fixed for a few hundred bucks.
I weigh 170 and find the suspension to be good. Some work to make it really shine is needed.
The seat gets better, or used to it after some time.
The power is really linear and will not surprise you. Unlike the six's that go from 30 hp to 100 hp at 11k.
Tires are ok if you have the correct pressure in them. No worries.
I find the bike to be really safe. It turns quick but yet is stable. Braking is good.
It is really easy to ride at a good clip and not feel scathed or worn out or in fear of your life.
My experience is that the bike is so much fun you don't want to put it up for the night. I am eager at all times to go some more!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Cypher: Thanks so much for the resources and your thoughts very helpful and insightful.

@Biker: It tried the ole "A man really needs two bikes" routine with my wife…. It didn't fly.

Heading to the dealership this week.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@Cypher: Thanks so much for the resources and your thoughts very helpful and insightful.

@Biker: It tried the ole "A man really needs two bikes" routine with my wife…. It didn't fly.

Heading to the dealership this week.
Always trying to help out our fellow bikers!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oh gawd, here goes . . . I'm gonna chime in. This is my first sport bike. I've ridden cruisers since I started riding in 2005 at the age of 45. I'm 5' short, 120lbs and I love this bike. I can't compare my experience with any other sporties, but here's what I'm doing as far as the D modes. On roads with which I am very familiar - no crazy turns, I'm now starting to trust Std mode, i.e., trust myself. When I'm in heavier traffic I use B because there's not much to think about as far as what to expect. So in stop and go situations I'm confident as ever. B is just smoother. I was rarely in Std mode for the first few days. It's now just over three weeks and I'm getting to know her a little bit at a time.

As far as the weight of the bike, I needed light because it's what I feel I would be most comfortable and confident to handle. I never got to test ride it before I bought it. I sat on it when it was displayed at the convention center with other makes and models during the Toys for Kids run. It was the weight of the bike that sold me and I knew that 847cc was more than I'll ever need. I put a down payment on it and then went to the dealership the following Monday. So light weight was an advantage. BTW, suspension is set on full soft for me and because I'm so little, I suppose it doesn't matter much? I don't know.

Easier to kill myself? I suppose so if I willingly rode beyond my limits, but I'd like to ride for a few more years :) I've not had any near misses/crashes. Felt the back tire do a little skippity do daw just before coming out of a turn, but that's about it. I was maybe going a tad too fast. Forget the maybe. But it was just a tad. I think I accelerated a little too soon. I'm learning, okay?!

I've no problems with the brakes. You feel what they do and then you got it.

Tires, okay during the courting phase. So I'll ride those out and then I'm NOT getting another set of Dunlops.

The seat perfect for moi.

This is my 'everything' bike. Like the bikes before this one, I'm gonna' become one with it. That's just the way it is for me. I'm hoping to make a trip to Yosemite in June, that is if I've afforded by then to get all the things for that journey. Yeah, yeah, I'll have to stop for gas a couple of times - don't care. If it's twitchy that's fine with me because I've got the other modes at the push of a button. Meh - you just learn what twitchy does.

Can't speak about technical stuff because I don't know.

Here's what I like best. I could afford it. It moves me away from cagers or situations I'd prefer to avoid by just the sweetest little twist of Miss 'Twitchy', it's just so damn easy to ride it and it's easy to LOVE it!

Sorry. I said I was going to chime in - but I'm simply in love, so I ramble. Let us know when you get yours! Liquid Graphite . . . *sigh* - that's just plain sexy :p. Laters, I gotta' Christmas party to go to.

·
Registered
883 Posts
but I'm simply in love, so I ramble.
Fantastic ramble! ;) I really like the way you describe your perception of the riding experience while adding some humor into the story.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, great ramble Eva.

I love what I'm hearing from everyone.

Lots of passionate folks about a great bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts