Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evotech gas cap, and questions for those with aftermarket gas caps

Sorry if these are noob questions, but i wanted to make sure i did everything properly when installing my evotech gas cap. My questions are:

1. How the eff do i get the key out of the stock gas cap? Problem #1 SOLVED! Thanks Lucky Devil.

2. The vent tube that comes with the new cap, was i supposed to put it in the hole at the 8-o-clock position in this picture? The oem vent uses the smaller hole at the 6-o-clock position, but the new vent tube wont fit that hole.
tank.jpg

3. how far into the hole should the vent tube go? Does it even matter as long as its in there period? I trimmed so it only sits about 1/2 an inch into the hole.

4. The evotech cap came with round o-ring type gasket pictured below. Is that the only gasket i should use, or should i also use the large rubber gasket that covers the entire bottom of the oem cap as well?
evotech4.jpg

I think that covers everything :)

And some pictures installed because it looks sooooooo sexay.

evotech1.jpg

evotech2.jpg

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I cant answer your questions, but I love that cap.....how much did it cost?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had to donate a key to the stock cap. no matter what i do it wont come out. some ppl say play with it awhile and it'll be released. maybe i give up too easily i dunno.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
you have to push down, evenly, on the outside round rubber gasket/seal thingie to trick the mechanism into thinking the lid is closed and it will release the key.

not sure if this makes sense.

it's easier to do with two people (somebody wiggling and pulling the key while someone holds down the gasket ring on the cap)

20140613_163916.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have to push down, evenly, on the outside round rubber gasket/seal thingie to trick the mechanism into thinking the lid is closed and it will release the key.

it's easier to do with two people (somebody wiggling and pulling the key while someone holds down the gasket ring on the cap)

View attachment 6465
Makes perfect sense. Thanks. brb lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 6465
Ok so the key is out. That was easy lol. It helps to put one side on the edge of a table and press up with your fingers on the other side. You'll hear a satisfying click and then you can pull the key out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
the cap in the pic is off my old FZ6... After 8 years of fill ups, it took a bit more effort & convincing to get it to let go of the key than a new one :p

·
Registered
156 Posts

View attachment 6465
dude you're my new hero took me literally 2 secs to get the key out with your instructions. thanks man

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes use the bigger hole in the 8 o'clock position. Length does not matter as long as it does not get kinked. Verify this by blowing on the vent tube by the shifter and making sure you feel air coming from filler neck

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes use the bigger hole in the 8 o'clock position. Length does not matter as long as it does not get kinked. Verify this by blowing on the vent tube by the shifter and making sure you feel air coming from filler neck
Thank you for the info.

removed the inner cap to access the filler tube, blew through both hoses down by the shifter. Blowing through one of them i feel the air up in the filler neck. Blowing through the other one i do not feel air, but i hear it going somewhere.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you re-use the rubber gasket from the stock cap? I was told you're supposed to use that with the new cap.
Yes I did. I had to cut it up a little and it was a bit tricky but with patience it went together nicely. I used it in addition to the new rubber gasket they sent with the new cap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts